5 Things That Always Make Me Smile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all desperately need to smile right now. Recently, I was walking down the street and thinking about how I miss seeing other people’s smiles.

I’m not going to lie to you. I’m not going to pretend that I’m doing fantastic right now. I’m going to keep it real. It’s really difficult to continue handling everything 2020 is throwing at us. I feel so far removed from normalcy that I can barely remember life before masks. Colleges are teaching classes as if everything is normal—no one wants to change their syllabi to a more lenient structure and professors are expecting the same quality of work as last year. But how can anyone expect the usual right now?

I’ve found myself burned out, upset, stressed, and all around pessimistic recently. If you know me, you know that those are all very opposite of the qualities I usually have. It takes a great deal of energy to not think about everything I feel like I’m missing out on.

However, there are many things that haven’t changed for me. Most of them are just small things that have always brought a smile to my face, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how small something is. I’ve learned that the smallest actions can be the most rewarding and bring the most happiness to people.

Here are five things that never fail to bring a smile to my face.

Waking up to snow

Last weekend, Boston had its first snowfall of the season. I woke up early, put on my boots, forced my roommate out of her bed, and went on a snow-filled stroll. “Serotonin from the sky!” is what I captioned my snapchat memory. If you asked me to recall some of my favorite feelings in the whole world, I would tell you that waking up to snow is my all-time favorite feeling (and it has been ever since I was old enough to talk). There is something so calming about the world when it’s covered in a dusting of snow—almost as if the snow absorbs the surrounding chaos of life.

Listening to “Walking in the Wind” by One Direction

There are certain songs that simply sound like perfection. One Direction’s “Walking in the Wind” is one of those songs. Every time this song comes on—whether I’m in a car, walking, crying, laughing, alone, or with friends—I feel a sense of certainty that everything will be alright.

Lighting the first candle of a new season

I think just about everyone I know loves candles. There really isn’t anything quite as nice as walking into a house that smells comfy-cozy. Much like perfume, the smell of a candle can pretty much describe who you are as a person. Yes, lighting a new candle is so rewarding. However, lighting the first candle of a new season is superior. I just recently lit the first Christmas candle for the 2020 season (a bit early? possibly, but we all need a little holiday cheer) and I instantly felt serenity stream through my apartment.

Waking up early without an alarm

I really enjoy early mornings when it’s just me, my blanket, and the sunrise. I don’t love waking up early with an alarm—8 a.m. classes were never my thing. Nevertheless, I have found that the odd mornings I wake up much earlier than usual are really special. They feel different and more calming than normal. I would say to give this one a try, but I still haven’t figured out how to reset my natural sleep pattern so that I can be a morning person, so I don’t have much advice. If you figure it out, please let me know!

Seeing your childhood home

I remember the first time I went home from college—it was Columbus Day Weekend of my freshman year. Getting off the highway and driving down the familiar roads of my childhood brought so much peace to my heart. I still get the same feeling years later. There is such a soothing nostalgia about knowing what’s around every corner.

It’s really easy to lose control of your life right now. Period. Point blank.

There’s no way around how difficult 2020 has been for everyone in so many different ways. However, these five thoughts have really helped me remember that there are still constants in the world that will always make me smile. So, what are your happy constants?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston.