Wellness

5 Skincare Changes You NEED to Make for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When swapping out our tank tops for chunky sweaters, we need to make sure to update our skincare routines as well! The cold weather can make our complexions dry and dull, but with these five tips you can maintain a glowy complexion year round! 

Switch to a Heavier Moisturizer 

I can not emphasize enough the importance of moisturizing. But this step is especially important during the winter months. Using a heavier formula will lock in hydration and help your skin combat the harsh winter wind. I recommend this moisturizer which is luxuriously thick and moisturizing, but is also safe for acne-prone and sensitive skin! 

Introduce an Oil 

Layering is not only for keeping you warm, but layering your skincare will ensure maximum hydration! An additional layer of oil at night, on top of your moisturizer will seal everything in. I recommend rosehip oil because it’s safe for acne-prone skin and absorbs quickly! I recommend this one here.

Sleep with a Humidifier 

Artificial heat robs moisture from your skin, leaving your complexion dry and irritated. You can alleviate this problem by sleeping with a humidifier to add needed moisture back into your skin. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your humidifier to aid in sleep quality!

Exfoliate, Exfoliate, EXFOLIATE! 

To prevent dry and flaky skin, make sure you are exfoliating 2-3 times a week to slough off dead skin cells and brighten your complexion! This exfoliator from Fresh gently exfoliates your skin with real strawberry seeds, and is packed with Vitamin C to brighten your complexion. 

Mix Highlighter Into Your Moisturizer 

To help boost your glow, add a few drops of liquid highlighter into your moisturizer! I recommend this one from Cover Fx which comes in 7 different shades to flatter every skin tone! Fake it till you make it, ladies. 

It is always important that we take care of our skin, but once the cold weather hits our skin suffers first! If you notice a change in your skin with the change in temperature, try out these five tips! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ro is a sophomore at BU studying Finance.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.