5 Simple Ways to Be More Eco-Friendly And Save Money On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As millennials, a big part of our anxiety comes from seeing the effects of climate change and feeling completely powerless – especially in college when you can’t always afford to buy local at the grocery store. However, more and more companies and people are coming up with ways to limit your carbon footprint and do your wallet a favor at the same time! Here are five things you can start doing now to live a more sustainable college lifestyle, as seen on Twitter.

Use reusable pads.

If you’ve ever been worried about how toxic pads are for you and the environment, you’re not alone. Recently, I started researching alternatives to the traditional pads that you can find in drugstores and I found out about this company that makes reusable and washable pads with certified organic cotton. Once used, you can rinse them out or throw them with your regular wash! It’s as simple as that. These pads are worth about $13 and are so much better for you and the planet – not to mention your wallet. Check out Smartliner Pads here! There are a bunch of other companies selling reusable pads in chain stores too, so be sure to check them out the next time you go to Target.

Use Ecosia for your internet searches.

How many times a day do you take to Google for help with your assignments or any adulting questions that pop in your head? Probably a lot more than you think. The good news is, you can make this habit profitable to the environment by using an awesome Internet search engine called Ecosia. Ecosia plants trees by donating 80% of its surplus income to non-profit organizations that focus on reforestation. As of August 2019, the search engine has been responsible for planting more than 64 million trees. You can download the extension for your computer and learn more about Ecosia here.

Unplug your electronic devices.

Don’t leave your dorm with your charger plugged in! Just like you turn off the lights when you’re not using them, unplug your charger, extension cords, or string lights when you’re not using them.

Get a reusable water bottle and coffee cup,

You’ve heard this tip a bajillion times already but now is the time to actually follow it! You’ll save money on your Starbucks order and waste less single-use plastic cups. If you haven’t done so yet, be sure to get a reusable straw while you’re at it. Some universities give them out to students for free, so look for an opportunity to grab one at an event or from the Sustainability office. If you forget your reusable cup at home and you have time to spare, ask for an actual mug to enjoy your coffee and stop there for a bit to enjoy the atmosphere of the coffee shop.

Buy from thrift stores.

https://twitter.com/galactears_/status/1161624955584303116

If you’re often on the lookout for new clothes and furniture, try shopping at local thrift stores rather than major department stores. You’ll give used clothes a second life, have a unique style, support the local economy, and save lots of money! It sounds like a win-win to me. Similarly, if you have a bunch of clothes you stopped wearing, sell them on Poshmark or Vinted or donate them in your community rather than simply throwing them away.

By following these five simple tips on a daily basis, you’ll reduce your environmental impact more than you think and inspire your friends to do the same. So, go on and search for these cute reusable coffee cups with Ecosia!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ariane is a senior at Boston University pursuing a dual degree in Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Public Relations. She loves exploring coffee shops and hanging out at the Harbor. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, Ariane talks about women's achievements on her radio show "Ladies of History."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.