5 Reasons 2007 Was The Best Year Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With all the #tbts, 90s trend revivals, and even Adele’s flip phone in her new music video, it can be hard not to romanticize the past. And while the nostalgia is real, sometimes we fail when neglecting some of the most iconic times, like 2007. Believe it or not, some pretty important pop culture phenomenons took place during this year, and they need to be brought back up. 

1. The final Harry Potter book

Madness ensued when the final Harry Potter book was released. Fans lined up for hours and even days to be reunited with their favorite fictional world and characters for the last time. Needless to say there were many, many tears. 

2. High School Musical 2 

Just when we thought the High School Musical franchise couldn’t get any better, HSM 2 came and shattered all expectations. It single handedly destroyed the idea that the second move is the worst movie in a trilogy and brought us the motivational montage that is “Bet On It”. 

3. The Spice Girls reunion tour

As if new songs like Rehab by Amy Winehouse and Umbrella by Rihanna weren’t doing enough, The Spice Girls announced a world reunion tour in 2007. Baby, Ginger, Posh, Scary, and Sporty brought back all their classics and spiced up everyone’s lives at their concerts.  

4. The viral videos

With YouTube steadily gaining popularity, 2007 really seemed the be the year of the viral video. Among the most popular were “Dramatic Chipmunk”, “Chocolate Rain” (an eternal jam), and “The Landlord”. Arguably the most well known video of the year was “Leave Britney Alone”, in which a passionate fan defending their favorite popstar. 

5. Potential Break Up Song

How could 2007 be summed up without the most iconic song of the year (and maybe decade)? Disney stars Aly & AJ proved their pop power in this catchy and powerful breakup anthem. Even today, it’s hard to listen to without singing along to all the words.  

Looking back, 2007 was quite the year. There were so many forgotten memories and occurrences, and we can only imagine which pop culture moments will stand out from 2015 in the future. 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis