This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As I transitioned from freshman to sophomore year, the biggest noticeable difference was the significant uptick in responsibilities I took on. My free time gradually declined as I added more and more to my schedule— ten hours of work a week, three to four meetings after classes every week, regular two-hour club commitments— on top of five classes. These activities keep me away from my dorm for the whole day, and as I ran around campus for 12 hours straight every day, I started to be painfully aware of my phone dying before I could swipe back into my brownstone. I learned quickly that I absolutely needed a portable charger, and a good one at that (the Target $5 ones won’t cut it anymore)— here are some of the best:

Anker Astro E1

This is, by far, my favorite portable charger. I used to be addicted to ones that were super thin or cylindrical, and while this one is slim, it’s definitely not the smallest portable charger out there. It’s so reliable though— I carry this one in my backpack every day. I don’t know how many charges it holds up to, but it has more than enough energy to charge my phone completely from 0 to 100%. It’s also one of the most affordable portable chargers.

Belkin Pocket Power 5K Power Bank

Similarly affordable and similarly slim, the Belkin Pocket Power 5K is also a small power bank that packs a punch. It’s thinner than the Anker but carries the same charge. It’s also Amazon Choice certified, if that means anything to you.

Jackery Bolt

It has built-in charging cords! I don’t know about you, but I’m definitely guilty of forgetting to throw my phone charger into my bag more often than I’d like to admit. The Jackery Bolt has a built-in lightning cable and a built-in charger for the power bank itself, which I personally think is a godsend. Despite the number of devices I own that use that kind of charging cord, I can never find them when I need to charge my stylus/portable charger/graphing calculator/etc.

Xiaomi Slim Portable Charger

Every time I visit Shanghai, I can’t help but walk around the Xiaomi stores in amazement. As someone who frequents the Apple Store in Boylston, the Xiaomi stores in China are just as fun for me. All of the technology there is so cool and functional, including this portable charger.

Zendure SuperMini

This is one of the more expensive options on this list, but it’s also super power-packed and tiny— it’s smaller than a credit card! It has 18W Power Delivery, which gives it the ability to charge an iPhone X up to 50% in just half an hour.

So if you’re like me and are out and about all day, ditch the novelty portable chargers–as cute as they are–and invest in one of these!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Carina is a senior studying Economics + Psychology at Boston University. She is passionate about marketing, Sally Rooney, and caramel lattes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.