Style > Fashion

5 Pieces You’ll Be Constantly Reaching for This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no secret that fall fashion has the superior aesthetics of all seasons (no arguments about it, sorry). But with the rapid changes in trends thanks to quick turnarounds on trend cycles, it’s hard to keep up with what’s fashionable, affordable and actually practical. 2019 brought us colorful fur coats, and 2020 focused more on sweat suits and jumpers due to lockdown. So where are we now? After intense research — and by that, I mean hours spent on Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok — here’s my take on this year’s fall fashion necessities. And, yes, you will still want to wear them come next fall. 

Colorful knits

This one is probably not a shocker if you’ve been outside recently. While the past couple of years brought us neutral knits, 2021 has been deemed the year of color — starting with the summer and continuing into the fall. If you’re like me and only wear black, this one may not be your usual go-to. However, shops like Verge Girl and Rumours will definitely change your mind. Colored knits always used to peg me as too “out there,” but the right sweater with a neutral pant will elevate your look and be a piece you’ll reach for in almost every season. 

cassiemarin
Photo Courtesy of Cassie Marin
Midi bodycons 

A little ‘trendier’ than some of the other pieces on the list, these midi bodycons first caught my eye on @katee.bartlett’s Instagram, and I’m now fully obsessed. At first, I was skeptical at its practicality and how many outfits you could really get out of this piece, but you could say I’ve been fully converted into a midi, long-sleeve bodycon lover. Kate’s dress (along with the others’ I’ve seen recently) can be found at Revolve, but dupes can be found at online shops like Pretty Little Thing and Missguided. Paired with a knee high or mid calf boot for a slightly more elevated look or sneakers for a comfortable yet cute outfit, this dress might just be your new favorite. 

Collared pullovers 

To add in a more comfortable jumper to the mix, try a collared pullover. We all know that wearing a carefully thought out outfit everyday can eventually get tiresome, especially when trudging to class in bone chilling weather. For times like these, throw on a collared pullover with a loose trouser or even sweats and your look is that much more put together. While the Aritzia TNA pullover has been getting traction, you don’t really need to drop a chunk of change on this piece, especially because most of your favorite shops have variations of this trendy pullover. 

Knee high boots 

Before you yell at me, I know that this one is definitely not a new trend nor am I reinventing the wheel by adding this to the list, but this may be one of the most important additions to your closet this year. 2017 and 2018 had the over-the-knee boots that honestly give me nightmares, but now, I am ecstatic that variations of the classic black leather, knee-high boots are dominating the market. These boots can be worn with pretty much anything, from jeans and leather pants to long-sleeve dresses and skirts for nights out. Best part? You don’t need to break the bank to add these to your wardrobe. Look to Steve Madden or even Nasty Gal if you’re looking for a pair of inexpensive boots to keep you warm this fall and winter.  

Statement scarves 

Last, but definitely not least, statement scarves are making a comeback, and I’m loving it! This accessory is one of the easiest and inexpensive ways to dress up any outfit and is the perfect fall to winter transition piece. From chunky, colorful knit scarves to neutral, lighter pieces, the options are honestly infinite. My new favorite purchases have been from Brandy Melville, but check out your local Zara, H&M or any of your favorite online shops for some more variations. 

While there are definitely so many more trendy pieces and styles to add to the list, these have been my favorites so far this fall. Check out Pinterest and TikTok for more inspiration while you shop online in between classes. Don’t worry — I’ll be right there with you! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Autumn is a junior studying film/television & journalism at Boston University. She is extremely passionate about writing & film, traveling, her family and friends, and telling stories.