5 New Hobbies to Try If You’re Bored

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re living on your college campus right now, then you’re probably insanely bored like I am. During the week, all I do is schoolwork. During the weekend, there’s not much to do other than walking or doing some other sort of outdoor activity. And, in the dead of winter (especially a Boston winter), there’s not much you can do outside. So, in the meantime, I’ve decided to try some new hobbies to keep me preoccupied. Here are some great hobbies you can try in the comfort of your own dorm (or outside)!

Knitting

I have a love-hate relationship with knitting. I learned how to knit many years ago, but I have a very short attention span, so whenever I start to knit a scarf, I never finish it. I just get bored too easily. Lately, I’ve been forcing myself to knit for more than just five minutes at a time, and I’ve actually made progress! I have about half a scarf right now, so hopefully, I’ll be able to bundle up with it before winter ends. Knitting is a really fun and rewarding activity to do because you feel productive while doing it and you can actually wear your end result! And when people ask where you bought that fantastic scarf, you can proudly tell them that you made it.

Online Workouts

I was definitely one of those basic people who started doing online workouts every day during quarantine. This past summer, I did a Chloe Ting workout every single morning, and honestly, it made me feel great about myself. Even though basically everyone I knew was doing the same thing, those workouts felt like my own personal hobby because I would wake up and start my day by doing a fun workout outside. It was extremely rewarding, and I definitely saw the benefits of the workouts in my body. I felt strong and fit for the first time in a while, and I wish I had kept doing it once school started. So, I definitely plan on continuing online workouts soon.

Yoga

This is similar to the last one, but any sort of physical activity is great to do. I’ve actually recently started running (which is another great hobby to pick up right now), and I’ve been watching yoga meditation videos on YouTube after each run to keep my body healthy. Yoga is a great way to calm your mind and body, and it gives you a chance to stretch, reflect, and feel good about your mindset. No matter what kind of workout you do—whether it’s a sweaty conditioning video or a peaceful yoga session—exercise is a great hobby to pick up. Like they say, healthy body, healthy mind!

Cooking

I am the first to admit that I cannot cook. However, this year, I moved into an on-campus apartment (which includes a kitchen), so I was kind of forced to begin learning some cooking skills. In fact, I just recently figured out how to make pasta, so you could call me a novice cook at the moment. Cooking has never been my forte, but I’ve started to expand my skillset and challenge myself to make new things. Now, I’ve added fried rice, pizza, and eggs to my menu (not all that impressive, I know). But if you’re like me, this is the perfect time to go to the grocery store, whip out some recipes, and make a dish that will wow yourself and your roommate (if you’re willing to share). Good luck!

Photography

No matter where you go to school, there are always cool places to take photos. For me, living in Boston has given me the opportunity to take pictures of some of the coolest graffiti, buildings, and parks. BU gives communications students access to super nice, professional cameras, so I usually rent one of those when I have a project or I just want to take some cool photos. But if you can’t rent one from your school, the current iPhones have great quality cameras, and you could take some stellar photos on those too. So if you’re in a city (or even on a campus), take a walk around different neighborhoods and see what you might find! That way, you can explore and take Instagram-worthy photos at the same time.

There are so many new hobbies out there to try if you’re bored right now, but even just picking one might lift up your spirits. We’re in the homestretch of this virus, so just hold on tight and try some new hobbies while you still have the free time!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.