This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I am officially done with my freshman year of college. While this was not the freshman year I expected because of COVID-19, it was still an amazing year. I made so many incredible memories and learned several lessons. I decided to make a list of five lessons that I learned in my freshman year. 

Get to know your floormates

It can be hard adjusting to college, especially if you are in my situation and moved out-of-state, leaving behind your friends and family. I was in an uncomfortable environment, and I had to essentially navigate it alone. I became very close with my roommate early on. We tried to make an effort to meet all of the people on our floor, and we became close to several of our floormates. We often went out and got food together, or watched movies in the dorms together. Often, we utilized the common room on our floor in Warren Towers. I would highly recommend meeting your floormates during move-in. Invite them to hang out or grab food. Those connections can create incredible, unexpected friendships. In my case, my freshman year roommate and I are getting a triple with another girl on our floor. That may have never happened if we did not make a serious effort in the first month of school to meet the people on our floor. 

No one has it all figured out

This is the most important lesson I learned in my freshman year. I had this idea in my head that I had to have it all figured out. I wanted people to think that I knew what I was doing, even little things such as where things are located on campus. I felt that I needed to know everything about BU and life as a college student. In reality, I did not need to have anything figured out because that is kind of the point of freshman year. It is the year that you start to figure things out.

Additionally, I thought that everyone else had it figured out, but I assure you, no one does. If you fall into the trap of thinking you need to know everything about everything and you need lots of friends and perfect grades, just know that you are in the same boat as all the other freshmen. There is an adjustment period during your freshman year, and that is okay. 

Try to get involved around campus

While you should not feel pressured to join a million clubs and get crazy active around campus, you should make an effort to join at least one club or organization. My biggest piece of advice is to go to Splash, an event at the beginning of both the fall and spring semesters where you can visit booths of many of BU’s clubs and organizations. While this event can be quite overwhelming, it is a great way to get a feel for what groups are on campus and which ones you might want to be a part of. Splash was where I found out about Her Campus and several other clubs at BU. Whether or not you go to Splash, make sure to join at least one club or organization, as this is a great way to make friends, make connections, and find your place on campus. 

Try to create a balance

It is hard to balance school, social life, and extracurriculars. This is something that I definitely struggled with my freshman year. Sometimes, schoolwork can be overwhelming, and it is important to take breaks. While your studies are extremely important, your mental health is more important. Use a planner or agenda to map out your weeks to ensure that you always have some alone time as well as time to socialize. 

Explore Boston

I wish I had explored Boston more during my freshman year, especially after having to leave because of COVID-19. You are given this incredible opportunity to receive an education in a beautiful city. Make sure to take the time to explore the city and all it has to offer. 

If you are an incoming freshman, I hope this list is helpful. Just remember to be your own biggest supporter as you adjust to college!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a sophomore at Boston University. She is studying Public Relations with a minor in Anthropology. Grace is originally from Raleigh, North Carolina.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.