5 Healthy Snacks That You Can Make In Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a college student, it can be really difficult to navigate life on your own while also prioritizing all aspects of your health. Going from having a full kitchen at your disposal to having a small microwave/fridge combo as well as eating most meals in a dining hall is a big adjustment. Even though you don’t have a full kitchen, it doesn’t mean you can’t make some amazing healthy snacks right in your dorm. Below is a list of the best, super easy snacks that you can make using just a micro-fridge right in your dorm room!

Oatmeal 

I don’t think you could ever go wrong with a steamy bowl of classic oatmeal! Not only is it super easy to make (just add some water, microwave, and voila!), but it is also so versatile. You can mix in fresh fruit, nuts + seeds, chocolate, spices, and more. Oatmeal doesn’t have to be limited breakfast time either. If you mix in some basil and sundried tomatoes, you can create an amazing savory dish! Some of my favorite oatmeal combos are apples + cinnamon, banana + peanut butter, and “red, white, and blue oatmeal” (oatmeal with raspberries, banana, and blueberries).

Yogurt Parfaits 

Yogurt parfaits are another delicious and healthy snack that is super easy to make!  Just store some plain yogurt in your fridge and add in any toppings your want. Fresh fruit, granola, and honey are some of the best. Parfaits are also very versatile, so add in any toppings that you find tasty.

Toasts 

There are so many ways to make healthy toasts, whether it is avocado toast, peanut butter toast, or some other yummy combination. You can make it savory, or even make it a sweet dessert toast (try Nutella and strawberries!). Another great thing about toasts is that they are so simple to make, all you need is some bread and whatever you wish to top it off with!  

Hummus + Veggies 

Hummus and veggies is another amazing snack that is ridiculously easy to make in your dorm room! Just store the hummus in your fridge and whip it out anytime you get a craving for it. The best vegetable to dip in your hummus is carrots, but tomatoes, cucumbers, and celery are great too! 

PB + J

The juxtaposition of the nutty peanut butter with the sweet and fruity jam makes the PB + J combo a classic fave! Prepare it on toast, a tortilla, or rice cakes to mix it up. This dorm approved meal is sure to have you feeling full, and feeling nostalgic about your childhood lunchboxes!

During your time in college, it can be hard to find healthy food options that are also easy to whip up in your dorm room. Hopefully, these choices can help you out, but don’t be afraid to indulge in a sweet treat once in a while too, after all, you deserve it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sophie is a freshman at Boston University studying Political Science with a minor in Journalism. From upstate NY, her hobbies include competitive figure skating, traveling, finding new places to eat in Boston, and anything outdoors! You can find her on insta @sophiesk81 !
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.