3 Things to Think About When Making a Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Aaaahh summer; a time for laying in the sun, having actual fun on weekdays, and a break from school and the stress it tends to bring us. One thing that people also associate with the season is heaps of leisurely reading. From old favorites to new books that you’ve had your eye on for months, May through August is the time for it all. But, if you find yourself unsure of where to even start and feel discouraged to even do so, here are some tips for you.

Find a Theme or Common Aspect That Fits Your Fancy.

One super helpful way to find books that will have you engaged with your reading is to pick a theme, genre, form, or even author, that you know you love. If you want to even attempt summer reading, chances are you will gravitate more towards some aspect of your readings. Whether it be sci-fi or YA, poetry or novel, Zadie Smith or Jane Austen, knowing what gets you excited about reading, in general, will have you super eager to get your book-symbolic ducks in a row.

Feeling bored with your favorites? Go for a type of book that you don’t usually look at. If non-fiction hasn’t been your jam in the past, do your research and find some of the greats. And if you tend to like newer reads, pick up a classic you know resonates with some of your favorite books. Who knows, you may come back to school more enlightened by your new readings.

Make a Timeline for Your Reading.

This may be my extreme Virgo energy speaking, but I find it extremely productive to map out a timeline for my books to give each book a proper amount of time and energy. You don’t have to plan it to the hour, or even the day, either. Just scribble down in your mental or physical notes that you will read X for about two weeks and then move onto Y. And, if you have a habit of stopping mid-book, have some backups on deck that you would still enjoy.

And, if planning your book time is too intense for you, at least create some sort of order to your reads. Sandwich the ones you are most excited about between ones you’ve only just heard about; pair a classic with a newbie for a balanced reading experience, or just do it randomly so you check off all your reads by the end of the summer.

Find Some Friends Who Are On Board With Reading Too.

Book clubs get a bad rep as a housewife past time from the 1960s. However, I find them extremely motivating when it comes to finding reads and dedicating yourself to finishing them. Find some friends that love books as much as you, make a communal list of books you love, narrow it down, and set weeks and times to talk about them. This way, if you find a really great or even really disappointing book, you have a group to bounce opinions off of. Plus, it’s just really cute to say “I have a book club session” (or, at least, I think it is).

If you want to make your summer reading fun and productive, make sure to plan ahead and get a book club together for more fun book time! Let us know what’s on your summer reading list this year.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.