This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve always been the type of person to be skeptical whenever someone says that making time for self-care and meditation is the key to curing stress. To me, it’s always seemed too simple a solution to all the challenges life throws at you. However, about midway through quarantine this year, I started adopting some of the measures that all of my friends were raving about. With all the free time I had, it seemed silly not to try and switch up some of my unhealthy habits. Here are some things that I’ve noticed have significantly lowered my stress levels!

Regularly going to the gym

I know this one is kind of basic, but I swear everything people tell you about going to the gym is true. I feel so much more ready and energized for the day after a good workout. I have more energy throughout the day, and I even sleep better at night when I make the trek to the gym versus when I don’t. I also just feel better about myself and more accomplished. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to get started and make it a consistent habit, but it’s so worth it.

Journaling

I’m not the best at this one, but I try to journal every morning before starting my day. It really helps to clear my head and get my day started on the right foot. I write a page of whatever comes to mind, even if I don’t really have anything concrete to write about. It’s actually incredibly therapeutic and helps to alleviate some of the stress of the day before it’s even begun. Something about releasing your thoughts onto something tangible helps to clear your head, even if it seems like you’re writing about nothing in particular.

Reading before bed

I’ve recently gotten back into reading, and it’s been one of the best things I could’ve done. Instead of scrolling through Tik Tok and avoiding sleep for hours on end, I now read for at least 20 minutes before bed every night. It’s a great way to fit in doing something I love within a busy schedule. Reading before bed also helps me get a better sleep, and it is also easier to fall asleep because my brain doesn’t get confused by staring at a bright screen. 

I hope these tips inspire you to adopt some healthy habits! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Brianna is a sophomore at BU studying International Relations with a concentration in the Middle East and North Africa.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.