13 Reasons Why: Trigger Warnings, Graphic Material, and Tackling Sensitive Subjects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The internet has been buzzing lately with reactions to Netflix’s new series 13 Reasons Why, and it seems that if nothing else, the Netflix adaptation of Jay Asher’s bestselling novel has people talking. Talking about things most people don’t talk about: depression, self-harm, rape, and suicide.  So what are we to make of this conversation, and the material that provoked it?

Just like Asher’s original 2007 young adult novel, Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why tackles some heavy subjects and dives into a plot woven with incidents of rape, violence, self-harm, and suicide.  It’s worth noting the sharp difference between reading about these sensitive topics on paper, and seeing them portrayed graphically on screen. Throughout the 13-episode series, the viewer is confronted by images of self-harm scars, unambiguous scenes of rape, and a very raw depiction of Hannah Baker’s suicide.  When it comes down to it, the series definitely pushes the limits, and a lot of people are asking whether or not their decisions were always responsible.

Three of the thirteen episodes in the series contain trigger warnings before the opening credits.  Episodes 9 and 12 start with this warning: “The following episode contains scenes that some viewers many find disturbing and/or may not be suitable for younger audiences, including graphic depictions of rape and sexual assault. Viewer discretion is advised.”  Episode 13 has a similar disclaimer, but instead warns of “graphic depictions of violence and suicide.” Yet with such sensitive material in every episode, it’s hard not to wonder why every episode doesn’t begin with a disclaimer.  For instance, in episode 11, Clay grabs Skye’s wrist to reveal a series of self-inflicted scars, which could certainly be triggering to anyone who has ever struggled with self-harm, or even contemplated it.  So, why was this episode not preceded by a written warning, cautioning viewers of potentially upsetting images?

Is it enough to assume that those who would be especially sensitive to images of self-harm, suicide, and sexual assault, would choose not to watch the series?  Was the Netflix series synopsis, “After a teenage girl’s perplexing suicide, a classmate receives a series of tapes that unravel the mystery of her tragic choice,” enough to keep these audience members away? All these questions are part of a larger issue behind the trigger warning debate: are people responsible to protect their own mental health, or are media companies, or even college classrooms, responsible for providing the appropriate disclaimers?

While there’s no one neatly-wrapped, politically-correct, and socially responsible answer, there’s no debating that 13 Reasons Why is hard to watch, with raw and harsh subjects that are hard to swallow.  For those who’ve struggled with any of the issues explored in the series, or even for those who haven’t, any episode could definitely be triggering.  But, it’s worth asking whether or not 13 Reasons Why’s bold confrontation and proliferation of a conversation about all those uncomfortable issues people avoid facing, might have overstepped boundaries only in order to increase awareness of taboo topics.

If you or someone you know is struggling self-harm or depression, or if you’re looking for more ways to enter the conversation about sexual assault, go to http://www.13reasonswhy.info for resources and information.   

All photos are from the 13 Reasons Why Tumblr Page: https://13reasonswhy.tumblr.com.

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.