10 Songs To Get Your Winter Break Started With Good Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know winter can be a difficult season. Freezing temperatures, sunset at 4:30 p.m., and the impending doom of finals can leave us college kids feeling down.

But no need to panic – I have the perfect playlist to pull you out of a slump and get you in a good mood while you hit the slopes, enjoy quality time with your family and friends, or whatever a good time means for you during winter break. Queue it up!

“Doses & Mimosas” by Cherub

This 2012 hit is a party classic – guaranteed to bring your energy and spirits up. For me, “Doses and Mimosas” by Cherub is a reminder of summer and the fact that you will, actually, make it through the winter. I think this song is the perfect backdrop for early-morning ski trips, camping, or late-night drives!

“Starman” by David Bowie

There is absolutely no time or place where listening to David Bowie’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is a bad idea, but I feel the start of winter is the best choice. For anyone whose parents are classic rock lovers, “Starman” is nostalgic – often a feeling that arises during winter times back at home. 

“It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over” By Lenny Kravitz

“It Ain’t Over ’til It’s Over” is an early 90s classic. I take Lenny Kravitz’s poetic lyrics in this song as a reminder that life goes on – something I think we all need to hear in times when life is perhaps more difficult than usual. This is the perfect song to play in the background while you make your favorite comfort food and cozy up to watch a movie. 

“Lose Yourself to Dance” by Daft Punk

Off of what is arguably Daft Punk’s most iconic album – Random Access Memories – “Lose Yourself to Dance” is the best groovy song to remind you to keep your head up high. This song implores listeners to remember to not take life too seriously, and enjoy exactly what they have in the moment – to lose themselves in the music.

“No Pause” by Girl Talk

I only recently discovered Girl Talk, and I could not be more enamored. Gregg Gillis, the man behind the magic, perfectly weaves together snippets of hundreds of songs in every genre to a smooth melody. Listening to Girl Talk is like a trip to a club where the DJ in residence has a background in classical music – it’s guaranteed to surprise you in ways you could not predict.

“No Pause” is so fun, and one of my current personal favorites. I think this is an excellent choice to put on at a party where you want to bring the energy way up

“I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

“I Will Survive” is an absolute disco banger, the end. Well, just kidding.

I think that this revolutionary 70s hit by Gloria Gaynor reminds us all that life simply keeps moving on. You’ll be okay no matter what the world puts in front of you, and you might as well enjoy a little disco boogie while you’re at it! 

“St. Brick Intro” by Gucci Mane

For me, East Atlanta Santa (Mr. Gucci Mane himself) is my favorite Christmas icon. He has a few albums dedicated solely to Christmas music – East Atlanta Santa (2014), East Atlanta Santa 2 (2015), The Return of East Atlanta Santa (2016), East Atlanta Santa 3 (2019), and So Icy Christmas (2021) – something rather unusual for a rapper.

These albums are super fun, creative reimaginations of classic Christmas songs as down-south Atlanta trap songs. Both hilarious and enjoyable, “St. Brick Intro” always brings a smile to my face. Merry Guwopmess!

“Prototype” by Outkast

I’ve recently been on a High Fidelity (the television version) kick, and so, naturally, the show reminded me just how much I love “Prototype.”

If you’re either going through heartbreak this winter, or if you’ve recently met someone new, this song is guaranteed to pull at your heartstrings a little. It’s a beautiful, lilting number by Outkast’s André 3000 (whose new, flute-based album, New Blue Sun, you should totally check out if you haven’t already) and Big Boi that recalls all sorts of emotions about love and loss. 

“Passion – Naked Mix” by Gat Decor

How could you get through winter without some good old house music? “Passion – Naked Mix” is a relatively simple track with a great beat and creative mixing that will surely be a perfect backdrop to any high-adrenaline activity this winter. Whether that’s skiing or clubbing, Gat Decor’s beats will get you through it all.  

“Good Vibrations” by The Beach Boys

This oldie is an excellent kickoff to any part of your day this winter. As stated, literally, in the title, the Beach Boys just want to spread their “good vibrations” with this song – I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t want that. And, if you’re feeling down in the dumps at all this winter, these boys are here to cheer you up!

Here’s a link to this list in Spotify playlist form!

Keep your good energy going this winter – best of luck with finals!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Isabel "Izzy" Rodriguez is a freshman writer at the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. She has done intern work at her high school town's local paper, The Pajaronian. Beyond Her Campus, Izzy is a DJit (DJ in training) for BU's radio station, WTBU. She is currently a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Journalism. In her free time, Izzy enjoys long car rides, fueled by her favorite music or podcasts, especially with her Australian Shepherd, Strider. She's a little too into This American Life for someone who isn't a middle-aged woman, an official American Horror Story expert, and an Anthony Bourdain die-hard. She loves the beaches in Santa Cruz, California, and misses them dearly every cold Boston morning.