The 10 Emotional Phases of the Final Weeks of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As I have approached the end of my first semester of college, I have come to realize that I am still quite the rookie at this whole college thing. Though I feel settled at BU, I have realized that no one comes in as prepared for college as I had imagined-not like those picture-perfect students on the brochures campuses always hand out. Being a rookie, so to speak, is exciting—everything is new, fresh and possible.

However, as I have come closer to the end of my semester, I have also realized that everyone—and I mean, EVERYONE—treats the end of the semester the same. Whether you like it or not, across all four years, everyone deals with the stress of the last weeks of the semester in similar, albeit sometimes unhealthy, ways. Here’s a list of how those emotional phases all pan out.

1. The post-Thanksgiving “I can do this” phase

This is the first emotional phase in the final weeks of the semester, and, my god, it’s a beautiful one. The naiveté is so pure—you come back energized, and choruses fly of “just less than a month of classes!” You start to believe that nothing is stopping you from succeeding—in fact, what even is a final? This is the phase where nothing can hurt you.

2) The slow realization phase

And then, the second phase comes.  You actually start classes again, and brutally realize that no, you actually don’t have your shit together. The syllabus begins to look like a different language, and you start to view assignments as mere suggestions rather than 25% of your grade.

3. The “Hold up!” Phase

Suddenly, unwise decisions pop into your head. Only three more weekends of this semester? Gotta go out and make the most of all of them! Again, at this point you believe finals are so far off that making these late-night choices won’t affect anything. This is another phase of naiveté, but this time, it’s not as beautiful as the first kickass emotional phase.

4) The post “Hold up!” phase

Whether it’s the morning after or the Monday after, this phase is the one where we must confront the mistakes we made in ignoring all of our work. This wake up call hurts the most—it’s where you have to accept that those three essays and two tests that you have before finals are not going to do themselves. Also, did I mention that you also have to start studying for finals? Yeah, it sucks.  

5. The “everything is crumbling” phase

At this point, everything is physically and metaphorically falling apart. Not only do you feel your grades and your cumulative GPA crumbling, but also your motivation is helplessly slipping away from you. Free time is a myth and sleep is a far off memory—which brings us to our next phase.

6. The stress-eat, stress-sleep, stress-TV phase

When there is absolutely no time to even take a breath, one must become crafty. And by crafty, I mean ignore every possible responsibility you could have. Who cares if that exam is two days away? Go get a pint of Ben and Jerry’s, watch A Cinderella Story for the umpteenth time, and pass out for once before midnight. Finals are a judgment-free time.

7. The “it’s 3 am at Mugar and I’m numb” phase

Ah, the phase when you finally get your shit together. However, getting your shit together involves some heavy study sessions in the library, which can drag on deep into the night. Soon, however, the emotional breakdowns in Mugar simply become background noise as you get further and further into your notes from the semester.

8) The exam day phase

It’s the day you’ve been waiting for—perhaps very anxiously and perhaps with dread (let’s be real, we’re all dreading it). You’re finally in the exam room, pencil in hand and test before you, and you’re most likely feeling like Spongebob when he takes four hours to write “The” for his biggest essay. Don’t worry, everyone’s in the same boat. All that’s left to do is trust yourself, and it’ll be over in two hours.

9) The excited post-final recuperation phase

The BEST phase is the one of instant relief that hits once all of your exams are completed. All that stands between you and sweet, sweet relaxation is a bus, train or plane ride. And the thought of showering without shoes? Exhilarating.

10) The goodbye phase

However, there is a bittersweet component to leaving campus for winter break. Having to say goodbye to memories and friends you’ve made—from the people you see constantly to those who are friendly faces in class—is hard. But be proud of yourself—you did it! Now go home and reward yourself with a month long nap.

Maddie is a senior majoring in journalism and public relations in the College of Communication at Boston University. Hailing from suburban Philadelphia, Maddie is incredibly happy to be back in Boston for her fourth year. This year, she's looking forward to spending all of her money on brunch, downing lots of coffee, and of course, writing and editing at Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Maddie is involved with her sorority and exploring all of Boston.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.