books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Why Voting Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

It’s not news to say that American politics these days can seem a bit out of hand. Every day, there is another article about one thing or another, and differing opinions clash on social media and within friend groups and families. Despite all this, it is still really important to focus on what is happening. Everything going on still matters. And the best way to make your own voice matter is to vote.

If you are 18 years of age and a US citizen, you should register to vote. This can either be in your home state, or in Pennsylvania, your current home while at Bryn Mawr. Registering is never that hard, and it gives you a lot of power in our system of government. To many, especially younger voters (including college students!), don’t feel as if going out and voting means that much. It is talked about and seen as a chore that many people don’t want to go do. Either they don’t have the time or maybe they don’t know enough about the candidates and don’t feel inclined to go out and vote.

But there are ways to get around this. Websites, like vote411.org, provide non-partisan information about candidates from all political parties running. This allows you as a voter to compare the different positions on issues that you hold dear and find a candidate that matches your ideology. You don’t have to pick someone within the two major parties if they don’t share the same values as you. Your vote should go to someone who you agree with Also, going to the candidates’ websites will provide you with more information about certain candidates that you want to learn more about.

Voting may seem like a chore, but it is one of the best ways to get involved in your own community. Vote in small elections, national elections and even primaries. You can choose the people who will be making decisions on your behalf, and it only makes sense to become an active participant in that process. Take a few minutes out of your day to learn about candidates, register to vote and on November 8th, head out to the polls.

Happy voting everyone!

Emma Regan

Bryn Mawr '20

Emma is a junior and originally from South Plainfield, NJ. She is an English major at Bryn Mawr and hopes to one day become a librarian. She is the Archivist of Mujeres* at Bryn Mawr, works as a supervisor at the dining hall and circulation desk at the library, and loves to read, listen to music, and hike.  
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021