What To Do If Your Summer Plans Fell Through

Oh, summer!

Wow, I can’t believe how this academic year is flying, especially this semester. 15 more days and we are off to take our final exams . . . and then what's gonna happen?

I'm super excited that summer's approaching, but to be honest, I'm also a little bit scared—I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing during the summer. But before I talk about my summer plans, let's talk about all the other interesting and exciting things going on this month.

I have a lot of friends who are graduating this May, so I am super excited to spend their special days with them. On May 19th, I'll be going to a week long chapter camp with some of my friends from Bryn Mawr's InterVarsity Christian fellowship group. It's going to be my second time on the retreat and I am so happy to go back. After that, I will go to Wesleyan University for my sister’s graduation (oh yes!!!! I am beyond exhilarated for that day!). And then I will return to Bryn Mawr to work reunion weekend. It is going to be a busy week, but worth-it :D. I'm also thinking of working in Carpenter Library for three weeks or so, so that I save some money before I go back home for the rest of the summer.

God willing, when I am back in Ethiopia, I will intern in a psychodiagnostic and therapy center called Abrhot. I'm a little bit nervous because I'm not sure what my responsibilities will be, but I'm sure I'll be able to observe and gain hands-on skills related to my major, Psychology.

The reason I wanted to write about my summer plans was to say that oftentimes, when the things we plan for don't happen, we experience a lot of stress. It's okay when those things don't work out—sometimes it's best to just move on and look for other ways to gain more or less the same skills. For example, I applied to a lot of summer research positions here in the U.S. but didn’t get any of them. To be honest, I was discouraged at first, but now I'm happy that I've decided to go back home and volunteer. It feels good that my work will benefit both the organization and myself.

We shall see what this summer brings us! If you're in a similar position and you didn’t get a formal, paid internship, it's alright to move on and volunteer in organizations that can also give you wonderful experiences. Don’t go too hard on yourself, relax, lay back and enjoy your summer! I hope that you're having a wonderful end of the semester and are open to whatever the summer brings you!