This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Can I get some mascne solidarity? I’ll be blunt—it sucks. I was lucky for the first months of the pandemic because I never had to wear a mask for a long period of time, so I never experienced mascne. But now I wear masks for hours on end, and it’s no surprise that my skin isn’t happy. 

How does mascne happen in the first place? Bacteria thrive in warm, moist places—i.e., underneath your mask. Your skin may also just be irritated by the fabric of your mask, causing redness that could exacerbate pre-existing acne.

Here are some ways you can prevent mascne:

Don’t wear a single mask for too long.

Try not to wear the same mask for extended periods of time, and least not without washing it between wears. Bryn Mawr gave us 2 reusable masks, but it’s worth it to purchase a few cheap ones from Old Navy or another brand so you don’t have to wear a mask for too long.

Go easy on the makeup.

Don’t wear makeup in the area beneath your mask. This one seems like a no-brainer, but it’s still hard to accomplish this at times with hybrid classes—one hour you’ve got to cover your face, and the next you’re in your room with your lower face out for all to see.

Brush your teeth well.

Practice good oral hygiene, especially since the bacteria from your mouth is what’s hanging out in your mask. (Sorry, I know it’s gross, but it’s the truth!)

Wash your face and moisturize.

Cleanse your skin frequently throughout the day and moisturize it!

The easy solution to mascne is to not wear a mask. But please do not consider taking the easy way out of this! Not only would you likely be kicked off campus, you would also be jeopardizing your and your community’s health. Masks up, people!

Maria Bohan

Bryn Mawr '21

I'm a Bryn Mawr College junior who still gets excited about the little things in life. English major/Education minor.