9 Low-Key Ways to Eat Healthier at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Having been raised by hippie vegetarian parents who forced me to eat dry, semi-flavorless granola bars in the back of our Subaru during road trips for 18 long years, healthy eating habits have been omnipresent in my life and continue to be important to me while away at Bryn Mawr.  A meatless, wholesome diet has allowed me to think clearer, feel happier, and perform better.

While the vegetarian life can be great for a lot of people, it is not the only way to have a healthy diet.  And being away at college doesn’t mean you have to settle for boring dining hall foods, either, or constantly chow down on Easy Mac and late night Insomnia Cookies orders (which are both yummy options, but treating yourself to them night after night would make you feel pretty gross, in my opinion).  Here are some low-key ways to cut a lot of unnecessary sugar and saturated fats out of your collegiate diet without interfering with the healthy balance you need in your life.  Sometimes, you NEED to have that one Icebox Cookie at New Dorm Dining Hall after dinner…or three.  Healthy eating is about finding a balance that makes you happy; it’s not always about losing weight or getting perfect, glowing skin.  Healthy eating is about how you feel inside.  If you want to feel awesome and still indulge in moderation, here are 9 ways you can eat a little bit healthier at the Mawr.

(Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist; I am a college student.  All of the information I obtained for this article is secondhand knowledge that I have acquired over the years.  However, I have consulted websites such as that of the Mayo Clinic and the USDA to aid my findings, so the information you will read here is reliable.  In addition, this article is about being more health conscious.  I am in no way encouraging anyone to obsess over their diet in an unhealthy way.)

1. Make your meal as colorful as possible.

This sounds like a tip that your grandma would pound into your head repeatedly, but believe me – it’s a great idea.  A “colorful” brunch meal could consist of a scoop of potatoes, a green salad with tomatoes, a cantaloupe wedge, and a hard-boiled egg.  For meat-eaters, some grilled chicken could be thrown into the mixture to add even more yummy protein.  In this plate, you’ll capture all of the major food groups…and afterwards, treat yourself to a brownie or a cookie, if you want.  Colorful plates are not only aesthetically-pleasing – they also contribute to a balanced diet and encourage healthy, diverse eating.

2. Try replacing that huge bowl of ice cream with a bowl of yogurt.

Obviously, ice cream is the bomb diggity, and we all need ice cream to keep us sane (unless you’re vegan or lactose intolerant).  But sometimes, having a few spoonfuls of either plain or vanilla yogurt with blueberries and granola tastes just as delicious and sweet as vanilla ice cream without the added sugar.  If you’re not in the mood for yogurt, any flavor of sherbert also rocks. But seriously, if the stars align and the ice cream deities are calling for you to indulge – go for it.  Self-care is extremely important!

3. Order out in moderation.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ORDER FROM DOMINOES.  YOU TOTALLY STILL CAN.  And the awesomeness of Chinese food and Campus Corner can’t be denied.  However, cutting down on the frequent 10:00 pm group orders will both save you money and benefit your overall health.  A lot of takeout foods contain a significant amount of sodium (especially Chinese food), which, when not enjoyed in moderation, could build up in your system and raise your blood pressure.  But what if you NEED food and it’s 2:00 am AND you’re in the middle of writing an essay AND you want healthy options?!  …Which brings us to our next tip:

4. Keep instant oatmeal, cereal, and granola bars in your dorm room for midnight snacking.

Two big granola bars and a bowl of instant oatmeal can be just as filling as mac-‘n-cheese from your local food delivery service, and they are undeniably better for you in the long run.  Pick flavors and varieties that you will enjoy so that you don’t feel like you’re eating sand.  Healthy carbs give you a surge of instant energy and will help keep you fueled for a few hours while you bang out that huge English paper.

5. Eat a huge breakfast.

Yes, that means you’re totally allowed to go crazy at brunch.  Your first meal of the day should always be your largest, as it helps to fuel you for the next 12+ hours that you’ll be awake.  Don’t take breakfast lightly, my friend.  Even if you have an 8:00 am class, be sure to munch on a hearty breakfast or brunch before you put your brain to work.  Fill your plate with eggs, greens, fruit, toast/a waffle/a pancake, potatoes, and supplement it with a glass of milk and a bowl of yogurt.  This way, you will be less tempted to snack on everything and anything throughout the day – and you’ll feel awesome, as well.  

6. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Water is low-key (or high-key?) one of the best things in existence.  Take advantage of the fact that you have a lot of it at your disposal – without wasting it, of course.  Water hydrates every inch of your body, and drinking enough water throughout the day will make you less inclined to eat mindlessly and/or drink sugary, fizzy beverages. 

7. Counting calories is not always the best option.

The nationwide obsession with counting calories may have some (only some) benefits, but simply relying on calories to determine the health content of a food item isn’t the way to go.  A calorie is a unit of energy, not a poisonous chemical!  They are what fuel your body to do work throughout the day.  While a 1,000-calorie slushie might be a little extreme to have twice a week, a 350-calorie sandwich could be stock-full of nutrition and good calories.

8. Eggs.  They rock.

Eggs are filled with protein; one hard-boiled egg is 78 wonderful, healthy calories (source: USDA), and having two or three hard-boiled eggs at breakfast will keep you satisfied for several hours.  Scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, or…hopefully not raw…prepare your eggs how you like, and enjoy!  

9. Look at the online menus ahead of time.

This way, you can make informed decisions about which dining hall or restaurant will offer the yummiest and healthiest options that day.  Obviously, don’t deny yourself the pleasure of pumpkin pie at Erdman when it’s being served – LOVE YOURSELF.  LOVE THE PIE.  But if you see that New Dorm is serving Black Bean Chili and Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup, all that gorgeous potassium, fiber, and protein should be pretty attractive to you. 

So my point in writing this article is to show you that healthy eating isn’t about eating only celery and protein shakes 24/7.  It’s about balance, happiness, and feeling fulfilled.  Do not deprive yourself of food that you enjoy.  Food is the gateway to my heart and to my soul, as I’m sure it is for a lot of people, and fueling your body with healthier and heartier food will make you glow from the inside all day and night.

Just a Bryn Mawr frosh who loves music, theatre, cats, key lime pie, hot tea, Gene Kelly, and being a vegetarian. I am a DJ for the Bi-College radio station, WHRC, and I sing with both an a cappella group called the Extreme Keys and with the Bryn Mawr/Haverford College Chamber Singers. I am a prospective double major in English and Music Performance, and I hope to someday (with a little luck) work as a both a freelance writer and classical vocalist.