4 Trips for the Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

It’s easy to get swept up in the whirlwind of exams, papers and readings that are typical of college, and although the hard work you put into school is necessary, taking a break is as well! There’s no better way to rejuvenate and engage one’s senses than to escape campus for a couple of days, and our location in the Northeast grants us access to diverse and interesting locations.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

New York City, NY

Photo courtesy of Enaas Sultan

How to get there

2 hours by bus (Megabus $11/each way)

What to do

In the city that never sleeps, there’s always plenty to do. Go sightseeing: visit the iconic Empire State Building, or the more contemporary One World Trade Center for stunning views. Stroll or bike through Central Park, and visit the plethora of art museums on the Upper East Side, from the MOMA to the Met. Visit the Chelsea Market and walk the Highline if you’re on the Upper West Side. Go further downtown and grab Instagram-worthy food from Dominique Ansel Bakery, famous for their cronuts and cookie shots, and go shopping while you’re in the Soho neighborhood. At night, go to Times Square and grab tickets to a comedy club or watch a ballet. Take the subway to Brooklyn and grab a slice of the famous thin crust pizza Brooklyn is known for. Visit the Brooklyn Bridge Park and take stunning pictures of the Manhattan skyline.

Washington DC

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

How to get there

3 hours by bus (Megabus- $21/each way)

What to do

Visit a few of the Smithsonian museums; from the Portrait Gallery to the Natural History Museum to the Air and Space Museum, there’s something for everyone. Take a guided or self tour of the monuments dedicated to important figures and groups of people in American history: Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, World War II veterans and more. Catch a glimpse of the White House or Capitol Building. When you’re done with sightseeing, walk around Georgetown, grab a bite to eat and visit Georgetown Cupcakes.

Boston, MA

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

How to get there

5 hours by bus (Megabus- $39/each way), 1 hour by plane ($137 round trip American Airlines)

What to do

Boston is a city steeped in history; if you’re interested in history, take a historic tour. Walk around or have a picnic in the Boston Common, a public park where the squirrels are very friendly. Visit antique shops and admire vintage Chanel bags at the many boutiques on Charles Street. Walk on Newbury Street or drop by the Prudential Center for shopping. Visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (free admission for all those named Isabella!), and look at the art or simply enjoy the lively, organic courtyard. After a day of sightseeing, visit Quincy Market at Faneuil Hall and grab a bite to eat, or buy some world-famous cannolis at Mike’s Pastry and enjoy them as you walk along the Charles River on the Esplanade.

Miami, FL

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Although winter can be a lovely season to sip hot chocolate and wear chunky sweaters, sometimes it becomes too much, and an escape to a warmer climate is much needed. Due to the recent hurricane, airfare and lodging in Florida are cheaper than usual.

How to get there

3 hours by plane (multiple airlines offer tickets for less than $100)

What to do

If you want to see cool animals, visit the Miami Seaquarium or Jungle Island. Go shopping at the Dolphin Mall or at Lincoln Road. Most importantly, soak in the warmth and enjoy Miami’s blue water beaches: go jetskiing, learn how to surf or relax on the beach and read a novel.

Enaas Sultan

Bryn Mawr '21

International studies major at Bryn Mawr College. I mostly write about TV shows, skincare, and getting through winter.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.