Wellness > Mental Health

Why Putting Yourself First Is Always the Best Option

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

When we are living our college lives, we tend to centralize all of our thoughts around relationships, friendships, partying, money, and grades. In those top five thoughts that are constantly running through our minds, nothing involves you. We get so wrapped up in the idea that we must balance our social life with our school life, which is absolutely true, but somewhere along the way, you lose the self-love that you so desperately need to have in your life.

If you don’t put yourself first, trying your best still will not be your best.

We think that even though we may not love and appreciate ourselves, our best outcomes in interviews and in school will come out from the work we put in. While you may land that A on your hard exam, or that internship you have been dreaming of, the likelihood of you being over-the-moon happy about your results is very unlikely. That is because you didn’t put yourself first.

If you don’t put yourself first, you will not believe in yourself.

This is something that a lot of girls in college struggle with. Right now, we are shaping the rest of our lives. Every person you meet, every test you take, everything you say has potential to shape you into the person that you are meant to become. We are shaping the rest of our lives, but if you have no belief that you will be able to pass a test, or that a person you met yesterday could become one of your best friends, or that you will be able to get a toxic person out of your life, the accomplishments you have will not come easy to you because you were not believing. Someone once told us, “you have to believe in order to achieve.” So, believe in yourself. For YOU.

If you don’t put yourself first, you will not love and appreciate yourself.

If you walk around despising your appearance, or the decisions you make, you will not appreciate or love yourself whatsoever. Self-love is something that is becoming an extremely relevant topic in everyone’s life. Why is it that girls are unable to look in the mirror on most days and say, “I am beautiful, I am strong”? Most girls do not have the ability to say this, day in and day out, and rely on other people for appreciating and hyping them up. Do it for yourself. If you do not love yourself, and every single aspect of yourself, you will not put yourself first in any situation you face.

We know how difficult it is to just put yourself before others. We know it is hard to try your best and not get the results you wanted. We know it is hard to try your best and get the results you wanted, but you don’t appreciate them at all. We know it is so difficult to love and appreciate yourself, especially when society tells us that if you praise yourself too much, you are a coward. We know how hard it is to be a girl and put yourself first. But do it for you. Do it for the person that you will become in the future, do it for the person you are now. Everything you are doing, every minute of every day, is shaping who you will be a day from now, a month from now, and 10 years from now. So, put yourself first, and we can guarantee your life will have so much more love and appreciation towards yourself and others. All of that just comes from the simple step of putting your happiness, your health, your love, towards YOU.

Junior at Bryant University from a small town in Connecticut
Kim Flynn

Bryant '19

Fan of puppies and Starbucks. Avid koozie collector. You can usually find me with my shoe untied.