free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Perks of Having A Remote Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With career fairs, academic advisors, family, and all your friends getting internships, it could feel like you’re drowning in applications right now. Don’t worry, though, there are tons of opportunities out there! Traditional internships may seem like the only way to go, but we’re here to tell you that there are other options. Consider applying for remote internships, and here’s why: 

Not Having to Put on Pants 

Although there are tons of bonuses to having remote internships, we all know that not having to leave the house is a definite perk. When you have a conference call, there’s no need to put on pants; in fact, you don’t even have to leave your bed. 

Great for Busy Schedules 

Whether you’re the president of your club or a D1 athlete, remote internships are great for overachievers. Most online or over-the-phone internships aren’t too time consuming, but do require quality work. So, if you’re ready to get to work at the library once or twice a week, these are great programs to consider. 

The Company Works Harder 

Internships in offices are great! You get to make face to face connections and really get the feel of working in a professional setting. However, we’ve found that with remote internship opportunities, the company works really hard to make up for what you’re missing in the workplace. They give you a lot of information over email (no strenuous note taking), and will work hard to make sure you understand the ins and outs of the requirements. 

You Can Pick Up Another Job 

Since a remote internship isn’t as time consuming, you can find time to pick up an extra job. Not a lot of online/over the phone internships can pay you, but they are definitely resume builders and filled with great experiences. So, if you’re looking to keep your babysitting gig or on campus job with your bestie, look no further! 

You Can Make Your Own Schedule 

Normally, there will be weekly check-ins or conference calls, but your employer will work with your schedule to find a time that works. It’s a good idea to set aside the same time every week to get your work done so that you can stay on top of it. Also, don’t be afraid to let them know if you have a crazy week or a family issue, just because you don’t come in everyday doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate you and your work. 

If You’re Close Enough, You Can Still Visit 

Going to Bryant and got a remote internship in Providence? You can still go and meet the office! Your boss would love the enthusiasm if you went in to visit throughout the program. Tell him or her that you want to see what the office or production warehouse looks like, or that you want to put a face to the name. Either way, it’ll make a great impression. 

Helpful Tip: You can make your own internship. At Bryant we have faculty and staff that are more than willing to work with you to create your own internships. Make an appointment with your advisor and ask about the process! There is a lot of work required, and running your dog’s insta account doesn’t count as a marketing internship, but you can work with professors and advisors to figure out your options anytime. 

Check out the Her Campus Job Board to find a job or internship! http://www.hercampus.com/job-board 

Senior at Bryant University