Open Letter to the Days When Nothing Goes Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Photo Credit

Let’s call it Monday- it already has a bad rep, you woke up late for class, you stabbed yourself in the eye with your eyeliner and couldn’t get your contacts in; the morning is already a disaster! The day only gets worse when you trip up the stairs going to class in front of your crush, and then you get to class and realize your laptop isn’t charged. The teacher hands back your midterm that you found out you did awful on, then in your next class you have a pop quiz. You already can’t wait for this day to be over.

The dining hall is a bigger disappointment than usual.

And finally you wait in line at Dunkin to pay more for a cup of coffee than you do for gas. This latte is going to redeem your day. When you put your mouth on your salvation … you realized they gave you the wrong order. And right when you are going to complain to the person who made it (about how you spend more on coffee than you do for a gallon of gas, and they can’t even make it right), the latte spills all over you… bye.

When you get back to your room to sulk in your misery, you only realize that you forgot your key and are locked out.

The days where nothing goes right are the absolute worst. Your roommate only understands so much and you feel like it’s you against the world. They keep telling you “remember girl, keep calm and carry on. Tomorrow will be a better day I promise.”

Looking back on this day I am hesitant to give a big f**k you too and throw up my middle finger. I look back on these days with gratitude, these are the days in college that taught me to cherish the good days. The days where nothing goes right are the days you learn who you are. Are you going to let tripping in front of your crush ruin everything, or are you going to go up to him own your trip and laugh about it?

These are the days no one warns you about. Right as you want to go cry in your room and blast “Ain’t it Fun” by Paramore and ruin some high notes that were only meant for Hailey Williams, you realize that these are the days that define you. It is okay to be upset, but you need to make change, the days where nothing goes right are the ones that can set you apart.

If you’re like me you are always saying “college isn’t the real world,” but don’t fool yourself. The emotion and stress you feel is real. The money you pay to go to school is real and what you are learning now are some of the most important lessons of your life. The days where nothing goes right are unfortunately real too, but will ultimately make you a stronger person. On top of all my regular stress, thank you to the day when nothing went right, I will look back on you and laugh knowing you were set up for me to fail. Instead – the day when nothing went right – you made me who I am instead, stronger, wiser and prepared for the next.

Until We Meet Again,

Collegiettes Everywhere