Nervous about Sorority Recruitment? Don’t be.

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

As a freshman, I was more nervous about sorority recruitment than actually starting at a new school and making new friends. I remember seeing “Alabama Rush” recruitment videos on TikTok and I felt that it was an intense process. In addition to seeing the intensity of “Alabama Rush”, I felt as though I did not fit into the “sorority girl stereotype” as seen in the media. Despite this, the idea of having a supportive group of girls on campus was very endearing, and on top of that, sorority allows for multiple leadership opportunities. So, I decided to go through the recruitment process.

Now looking back on my freshman rush experience, it was nothing like what I saw in the media. As a small university, Bryant University’s sorority recruitment is a very casual process that only spans over the course of three days. During those three days, all the potential new members are able to meet each sorority. The recruitment decisions are a mutual agreement between the sorority and the potential new member, similar to how interviewing and getting a job are. Remember that the interview for a job is actually for both the potential employee and the employer. This is similar sorority recruitment; however, sorority recruitment is much more like a casual conversation with a friend rather than a formal interview.

Tip: More often than not, TikTok and the media do not accurately represent rush at Bryant University. In my opinion, the experience is way more laid-back. Just focus on being yourself, being open-minded and having a positive attitude.

Another thing that I saw that differed from Alabama rush was the attire. I remember seeing trendy dresses and heels. At Bryant University, all of the potential new members are given a very simple dress code for recruitment. The requirement for attire is business casual. This allows each potential new member to be expressive of their own personalities and wear what feels comfortable to them. Personally, I found the most relief in this because I don’t own any clothes similar to what I would see on TikTok.

Tip: Dress comfortably to the theme! It will make you feel more confident.

One last thing I was nervous about was that I needed the “cookie-cutter” conversations with the girls in each sorority. I was paranoid that I was going to be judged for saying the wrong thing or messing up in a conversation. This is COMPLETELY not the case. The girls were all so friendly, and even when I messed up, I was not critiqued based on that.

Tip: Don’t say what you think they will want you to say. Speak freely about whatever comes to mind! It should not feel like an interview, but rather a conversation with a friend.

I hope this POV helps you to make a decision on whether or not you want to do it! Everyone’s experience is different, but I can confidently tell you that it is not as nerve-wracking as what you see on TikTok or the movies! It definitely does not hurt just to try it, and even if you end up not liking it, you can always decide not to go through with it. Best of luck!

Carmen Yebba

Bryant '25

I am a third-year Team and Project Management Major, Marketing and Communications Minor at Bryant University. I am from Westwood, Massachusetts!