Culture > News

Formal Recruitment Info Sessions: What to Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Are you interested in joining a sorority here at Bryant? Do you want to find your home and a family of sisters that will last you a lifetime? Do you just want to know more about sorority life in general?

If you said yes to any of these questions then you should attend one of Bryant Panhel’s Formal Recruitment 2020 Information Sessions! 

Here’s some quick FAQs to answer some of your questions before heading into your first info session: 

What is Panhel?

Panhel is a nickname for Panhellenic Council. Bryant’s Panhellenic Council serves as the governing body for Bryant’s sororities. 

How many sororities does Bryant have, and what are their names?

Bryant has four sororities that are part of the Panhellenic Council: Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Delta Zeta, and Sigma Sigma Sigma

What’s the main difference between each of the sororities?

There are a lot of things that make each sorority unique, but one important thing to note is that each sorority works with different philanthropies. The best way to learn more about them is to go to an info session and if you’re interested enough, sign up for formal recruitment. During formal recruitment, you’ll get to learn about each sorority’s sisterhood, philanthropy, and what makes them unique. 

What should I expect from a Formal Recruitment information session?

Expect to get a nice overview of sorority life on campus and what formal recruitment is. These information sessions are put on by the Recruitment Director and Rho Gammas who are there to answer all of your questions and give you a better idea about what the process of formal recruitment entails.  Recruitment information sessions are meant to be a casual way to get more information about Formal Recruitment. No need to dress up fancy!

What is a Rho Gamma?

Rho Gammas are members of sororities on campus who temporarily give up their letters prior to formal recruitment to help guide interested girls through the formal recruitment process. Because they aren’t affiliated with a sorority during this time, they are meant to give an unbiased opinion on sorority life and help girls find their home. 

When is formal recruitment and who is eligible? 

Formal recruitment is the first weekend back after winter break. Freshman can’t join a sorority until the second semester at Bryant so that is why it takes place in the winter, but any freshman, sophomore, junior or senior can go through formal recruitment during that weekend. There are some sororities who do continuous open bidding during the fall semester, but those are only for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Continuous open bidding (COB) events are specific to each sorority, so check out their Instagram pages to keep updated on when those events happen! 

When are the information sessions?

Information sessions are held throughout the fall semester in FSC Papitto, one of the downstairs meeting rooms right next to the Fisher information desk. There are three dates for information sessions this semester:

Monday, October 7th at 9:15 PM 

Monday, November 4th at 9:15 PM

Monday, December 2nd at 9:15 PM 

Make sure to follow Bryant Panhel on Instagram to keep getting updates on Formal Recruitment!

All photos provided by Bryant Panhellenic Council Instagram.

Most likely to approach a stranger to say hi to their dog :)
Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.