This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1. Candy Cane Cocoa

Are you a peppermint lover? A super simple but delicious hot cocoa hack is to take a candy cane (or two!) and use it to swirl and mix up your hot cocoa. It will melt into the hot cocoa and create a minty, chocolatey flavor. You can also break up the candy cane into smaller pieces and simply drop them into the hot cocoa to dissolve.  

2. Easy K-Cup Mocha

If you’re in the mood for hot chocolate but need a little caffeine boost, or you just love hot mochas, add a spoonful or two of your hot cocoa powder into a mug and brew your K-cup coffee over it. If this is too rich of a flavor for you, try brewing half a cup of coffee first and then mixing it with half a cup of hot chocolate. You’ve got your perfect homemade mocha!

3. Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Sundae

Ice cream in the winter can sometimes be daunting – but with this hack you can enjoy your ice cream while staying warm. Make your hot chocolate as you normally would and add a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream flavor on top to create a “hot chocolate float.” Drizzle some chocolate sauce on top and you’ve got yourself a hot chocolate sundae!

3. Use Milk Instead of Water

Have you ever had a cup of hot chocolate and it’s just way too watered down? Try making your hot chocolate with milk instead of water! Pour your milk into a mug (try almond milk to kick up the flavor), add your hot cocoa powder, and microwave it.

4. Nutella Hot Cocoa

If you’re crazy for chocolate, grab a spoonful of nutella and add it to your hot cocoa for a thick, rich, extra chocolatey flavor.

5. Cinnamon Hot Cocoa

Get into the holiday spirit with this cinnamon-y  hot chocolate; top your hot chocolate off with some whipped cream and sprinkle some cinnamon into your hot chocolate or use a cinnamon stick as a stirrer.

6. Flavored Creamer Hot Chocolate

If you’re sick of drinking plain old hot chocolate, add some flavor by mixing it with a splash of flavored coffee creamer. Try adding some french vanilla or even pumpkin.

7. Pre-packaged Hot Cocoa

Pour some cocoa powder in a mason jar, add some sugar, and some powdered milk or creamer. If you have some lying around, top it off with some crushed candy cane, chocolate chips, marshmallows, or oreos.  When you’re done, seal the container and once you’re ready to drink it just add hot water. This is a great quick gift idea or way to make pre-packaged servings for kids.

Find me either eating some vegan buffalo mac & cheese or crocheting up a storm. Or maybe both at the same time.