This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Worried about Ebola? Fortunately for you, Her Campus has all the facts! 

What is Ebola?

Ebola is an infectious disease that has severe and an often fatal impact on humans. It first appeared in 1976, in Nzara, Sudan and in Yambuku. Today it is mainly found in tropical, central, and west Africa. The virus is known to live in fruit bats, and has been found in monkeys, chimps and other animals. Transmission from animals to humans or from human to human are how the virus can spread. For instance, eating an infected animal, or coming in contact with infected body fluid or feces are ways you are at risk of infection.You are also at risk if you travel to Africa, provide medical care to those infected, or prepare infected people for burial. The virus is very deadly, killing more than half of the people infected by it. Ebola is not easily transmitted through the air, rather spread through direct contact with blood, secretions, or other body fluids of ill people. It is indirectly spread with needles and other contaminated objects. Some symptoms are, fever, headaches, muscle and joint pain, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and unexplained bleeding or bruising.

Reasons you should NOT fear Ebola:

1.)  Ebola is mainly contracted by direct contact with contaminated fluids. So don’t worry too much about catching it through the air like the common cold.

2.)  Many medical staffs are prepared and know how to handle Ebola and use caution when working with infected people.

3.)  Airports are on high alert. Many African airports are scanning their passengers before letting them travel.

4.)  The United States has the technology to contain an outbreak like this one. The reason it spreads throughout Africa is due to lack of resources and inability to diagnose and quarantine the disease

5.)  Although Ebola kills over half of those infected, it does not kill as many people as other infectious diseases. Look at the statistics for Africa for instance:

What you can do to prevent infection:

As of right now, there is no vaccine to prevent Ebola but there are a few things that you can do to avoid contracting this disease.

1)    Avoid travelling to areas where the virus is found

2)    Avoid eating wild- caught meat from the areas Ebola is present

3)    Wash your hands regularly

4)    Disinfect objects many people touch such as doorknobs, telephones, and toilet seats

5)    Make sure to get your full daily dose of vitamin D, because up to 80% of patients that contract the virus are vitamin D deficient. So eat foods that contain vitamin D!