This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants are filled with nasty chemicals and ingredients that shouldn’t be used on your skin (not to mention the fact that antiperspirants actually stop you from sweating – which is a natural bodily function that should occur). We have come up with a tried and true deodorant recipe that you can make at home, with ingredients you probably already have in your house (or can find in the grocery store!) This deodorant is aluminum-free, made with zero animal-derived ingredients, and is great for living a sustainable, zero-waste lifestyle.

Let’s go into what can normally be found in deodorants and antiperspirants like Dove, Secret, and Degree:

ALUMINUM 

• a metal that’s added to antiperspirants to stop sweating
  • is linked to a number of health issues like seizures, breast cancer, Alzheimer’s, kidney problems, etc.

PROPYLENE GLYCOL

• added to prevent the product from drying out
  • is considered a neurotoxin (can cause kidney and liver damage), and can cause allergic reactions

TRICLOSAN

• added as a bacteria and fungus killer
  • is a possible carcinogen and has been linked to endocrine system disruption

PARABENS

• added as a preservative
  • known hormone disruptor
  • has been found in malignant breast tumors
  • can cause birth defects

FRAGRANCE

• contains phthalates which are known hormone disruptors 

Not only are conventional deodorants and antiperspirants harmful to your body, they’re also not very environmentally friendly. The majority of the deodorants and antiperspirants on the market are packaged in excessive plastic. Think of how much plastic you throw in the trash each year because your deodorant is made from disposable plastic – instead of a sustainable option like a glass jar. Thankfully, our recipe avoids this plastic problem, because you can keep refilling your glass jar once you’ve run out of deodorant!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 4oz mason jar or reused glass jar
  • 5 tbsp coconut oil (preferably refined)
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • (optional) 2 drops lavendar essential oil

Instructions:

• Scoop the coconut oil into a bowl and mix until it’s a liquid-y consistency (Microwave for 10 seconds if its cold out! The coconut oil may be a little hard)
  • Add in the cornstarch, arrowroot starch, and baking soda, and mix until it forms a smooth consistency, without any chunks
  • (Optional) Add 2 drops of the essential oils and mix thoroughly
  • Scoop into your glass jar
  • To use, use your finger to scoop a pea-sized amount and rub it directly under your arms. Wait 30 seconds to dry and you’re done!

TIP: if its really hot outside (during the summer, especially) your deodorant may be more liquid-y; if it’s too liduid-y, place it in your fridge or keep in a cool place to harden it up a little. (As soon as you put it under your arms, it will melt). If it’s really cold ouside (during the winter), your deodorant may seem too hard; this is okay! Simply scrape a pea-sized amount using your finger, fingernail, or a small spoon, and use as normal.

Another useful tip is to buy your ingredients in bulk – you can actually save money in the long run by doing so! All of these ingredients (maybe besides the lavendar essential oil) can be found at your local grocery store, so this DIY is super easy and practical. Give this DIY deodorant a go and let us know what you think! 

Image Credit: Photo 1 | Gif 1 | Photo 2: Jocelyn Koury

Find me either eating some vegan buffalo mac & cheese or crocheting up a storm. Or maybe both at the same time.  
Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper