bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cure Dry Winter Skin in Four Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Yes, it is only February, but aren’t we all sick of dry, rough winter skin? We thought so. We’ve compiled the best tips to help you all make it spring with the softest skin possible.

1. Exfoliate twice a week. Getting rid of the dry, dead skin will make room for smoother skin. Here’s our favorite trick. You’ll thank us for this one.

DIY Coconut Oil Body Scrub.

·       Mix 2/3 cup of sugar with 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil. Don’t have coconut oil? Olive oil works just as well.

·       Scrub on body in shower, rinse sugar mix off (rinse not wash!).

·       Shave without shaving cream. Make sure to keep rinsing out your razor—there’ll be a lot of dead skin. NEVER shave before exfoliating.

·       For the rest of your body, scrub with a wet, soap-free wash cloth.

·       Pat yourself dry after the shower, do not rub.

Not up for making it yourself? Try the Lush Ocean Salt Scrub.

2. Don’t forget your face. Never wear your makeup to bed, unless you like dry, clogged skin. Make sure to exfoliate as well. While the Coconut Oil Body Scrub will work great exfoliating your face too, it may not act like a normal facial wash the way you want it to. When looking for a winter facial cleanser, never use one with alcohol in it, as it strips your face of moisture. Use a cream moisturizer on your face rather than a lotion.

We’ve managed to find an exfoliator that’s nice to your pores as well. It’s the Lush Coalface Cleanser. It’s a charcoal bar that smooths skin and clears out pores. Your face will never feel softer! Use it three times a week to keep smooth without drying out.

3Apply a nourishing body lotion every day. We know how much you all love our scented Bath & Body lotions, but winter is time for some real moisturizing. Look for something—preferably unscented—with shea butter, cocoa butter or aloe for the best results. Our favorite: Vaseline Total Moisture Cocoa Radiant.

4. Lips need love too. Dry lips thrive in winter weather with the cold outside and heat inside. Give them a quick scrub every once in a while.

·       Mix a tablespoon brown sugar with a bit of honey or melted coconut oil (add a dash of vanilla if you want some extra sweetness).

·       Scrub on lips using fingers and lick (or rinse) off when done.

Don’t forget about applying lip balm afterwards. Make sure there’s no salicylic acid in the ingredients. We recommend Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick, it works in minutes!

You can beat this winter skin and feel softer than you ever have. And don’t worry—spring is almost here!