Being Home After College: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

You took your last final and now you’re on the way home! You can’t wait to sleep in your own bed, shower without flip-flops, and spend days in bed binge-watching Netflix. But transitioning from life at college to life at home can be awkward and frustrating. Thankfully, Emma Stone knows our pain!

Food

The Good:

Home-cooked meals

The Bad:

While you were gone, your family decided to “get healthy” and now all family dinners feature badly cooked tofu or some other “miracle” food.

The Ugly:

You head to the fridge for a snack only to find that someone has eaten your leftover pizza.

Your Social Life

The Good:

You get to see all your old friends and you reconnect like you haven’t been apart at all.

The Bad:

Your parents’ “reminder” that 2 am is not an “appropriate” time to get home.  

The Ugly:

You’re out with your friends and you meet a great guy. At school you all you had to do was text your roommate to give you guys some privacy. Now, you live at home with your parents, and things are a little more complicated. And infinitely weirder.

Your Siblings

The Good:

If your siblings aren’t in college yet, you get to be the cool big sister. And you both secretly missed each other so you’re actually getting along for once.

The Bad:

If your siblings can’t drive, they expect you to act as their own personal taxi.

The Ugly:

You’ve been gone a whole year and now your siblings are so darn grown up. They’re still annoying, but they’re not the same brats you left in the summer. And you would never tell them, but you’re totally proud of how awesome they are now.

Photo Credit: http://piinkwinemakesmeslutty.tumblr.com/post/36183896154/when-i-see-a-male-wearing-preppy-clothes

Abby can be found reading magazines, dreaming up content ideas, browsing(stalking) on Instagram, and pursuing her love of travel. She is also a certified nerd. Find her on Instagram @abby.e.hart because she is not funny enough for Twitter.