9 Things You Should Walk Away From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Over time there may be many situations you get involved in, only to later wonder if they should still be a big influence in your life. As we get older and the world around us changes, we come to realize that there are just some things in life that are okay to walk away from, no matter how hard it may seem. Here is a list of some of the things we have found that it is okay to let go of:

1. A toxic friendship: We all know what this one is — there’s that one friend who you’ve been friends with for so long, but at this point in your life nothing positive is coming from the friendship anymore. If this person is consistently making you feel bad, creating drama, or generally isn’t providing what you want from a friendship, it’s perfectly fine to end the friendship if it’s what is best for you.
  2. A boy who isn’t treating you right: We collegiettes have most likely all experienced being hung up on a boy who you simply can’t shake. We know what it’s like to be with someone who no longer treats you right, and if this is the case, you deserve much better and should walk away immediately. The happiness you deserve is out there, we promise. 
  3. A commitment you no longer have time for: College is stressful. There are endless time commitments and responsibilities to manage every day, and sometimes this can stress us out. But if you no longer have time for something you previously yourself committed to, don’t be afraid to politely remove yourself from the activity.  It is extremely unhealthy to overwork yourself.
  4. Something you once loved, but lost interest in: Times change, we change, and our interests change. Collegiettes know first hand that throughout our college years, our likes and dislikes will change frequently. If you are involved with something but no longer have the same passion that you once had, it’s okay to walk away and find something you would rather spend your time doing.
  5. A bad roommate situation: If you are truly lucky, you will never have this experience in college.  But unfortunately, some of us will be unlucky enough to be paired with a bad roommate. It might not be the easiest thing in the world, but if your situation is unbearably tough, it is acceptable and encouraged to reach out to your RAs and request a room change. College is about having the best time of your life, and a bad roommate should not hold you back from this.
  6. The town you grew up in: This is much harder to walk away from than some of the other situations mentioned. Most of us have spent our whole childhoods in one town, and we know it like the back of our hands. It can be challenging, but deciding you want to live somewhere else after college may be the best decision of your life. It’s natural to love your hometown, but it’s also healthy for you to want to spread your wings and spend time living elsewhere.
  7. Your college, if you decide it isn’t the right fit for you: One of the toughest realizations you may make is that the college you initially chose was not the best option for you. We know it can be extremely hard, but if your college doesn’t feel like home and you aren’t genuinely happy and excited to be there, then it might be best for you to think about transferring to a different school. If you are thinking about it, still give your school a chance. Don’t decide you want to transfer after only one semester, because a lot can change in the second half of the year. 
  8. A job where you aren’t happy: We all know the saying “if you love your job you’ll never work a day in your life,” and we hope this can be the case for everyone at some point in their lives. Ultimately, you should work in a comfortable environment in which you thrive. If the job you are working is making you feel terrible to the point where you dread going each day, then maybe it would be best to start searching for another job.
  9. The bad influence: We’ve all had individuals in our lives who have a negative impact over our actions and/ or feelings. If there’s a friend who is constantly pressuring you to skip class, go out every night of the week, or do things you aren’t comfortable with, you need to limit the power they have over your decisions.  It’s okay to cut ties with someone if they hinder your success and well-being.
Flora is a graduate from Bryant University with a major in communication. She moved to Boston after graduating and somehow is already 2 years post-grad. By day, she is a marketing associate but when she's not at the office she loves trying new foods, hunting for the latest trends, exploring the city, going to spin classes, and finding as many cute dogs to pet as possible! Follow her on Instagram @lifeisgoodman