6 Reasons to Listen to Selena Gomez’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

If you’ve been living under a rock, or are just totally out of tune with the wonderful princess of pop that is Selena Gomez, her new album Revival was just released on October 9. If you’ve already bought the album, or are listening to it on Spotify, then good for you. Keep doing what you’re doing. If not, then here are six reasons why you should be listening to Revival right now.

1. It is easily Selena’s best music yet. Her vocals are stronger than ever, lyrics are more meaningful, and beats are catchier than ever before. The album has been referred to as “the rebirth of Selena” and it absolutely is.

2. She knows exactly what you need to hear for every occasion. Coping with your haters? Listen to “Kill Em With Kindness”. Dealing with the aftermath of a breakup? Selena has you covered with “Camouflage”. Found someone that you love? She’s got it perfectly summed up with “Nobody”.

3. She is inspiration to anyone trying to grow or improve as a person. Revival is the sum of Selena’s experiences and challenges over the past couple of years, and how they have helped her rediscover herself. Songs such as “Revival”, “Survivors”, and “Rise” pay tribute to the difficulties but ultimate benefits of going through big life changes. Lyrics such as “I’ve been under self restoration/ I’m becoming my own salvation” from “Revival” and “You can tap into the strength you never knew you had/ You can breathe into your faith no matter where you’re at/ Just close your eyes and change your life” from “Rise” are some examples of this.

4. It has some great party songs. Looking for new music for your pregaming playlist? Add “Me & the Rhythm”, “Body Heat”, and “Me & My Girls”. They’re all great songs for getting ready for a night out, dancing around your suite, or just having a good time with your girls. “Me & My Girls” is the perfect anthem for a night out with just your girlfriends, so play it loud next time you go out with your suite!

5. Selena is the ultimate positive body image role model. Last spring Selena had to deal with serious body shaming after a photo of her wearing a bathing suit was released. She responded to the haters with this gorgeous Instagram post:

She spoke about the experience during a recent Ellen interview, saying “It was the first time I’d ever been called fat… it was weird because it’s not just ‘Oh, she’s fat.’ It’s like, ‘She’s a mess. She’s gone off the deep end.’ I’m like, because I’m on a vacation wearing a bathing suit? Actually technically that is a little too small for me, but I didn’t care,” and “That’s so degrading.” Talking about the Instagram post, Selena said “Look, I didn’t want them to win. It’s so annoying when I see it all over the place and everybody thinks they can bring me down. So my immediate response was I’m gonna post a picture and I’m like, ‘I’m happy with me y’all’…  I wasn’t gonna let that be the story. That wasn’t the story.”

We’re so proud of Selena for deciding to write her own story instead of letting others dictate how she perceives herself.

6. She has been through hell and it made her stronger than ever. In January 2014, Selena canceled the end of her Stars Dance tour and checked herself into a rehab facility. Naturally, there were plenty of rumors that was being treated for a drug addiction. During an interview with Billboard Magazine, Selena revealed that she had been diagnosed with the autoimmune disease lupus and had undergone chemotherapy. In response to the rumors, she said “I wanted so badly to say, ‘You guys have no idea. I’m in chemotherapy. You’re assholes,’… But I was angry I even felt the need to say that. It’s awful walking into a restaurant and having the whole room look at you, knowing what they’re saying. I locked myself away until I was confident and comfortable again.” If her new music and recent interviews are any indication, we think it’s safe to say Selena has found a new level of confidence in herself. She is proof to all of us that what doesn’t kill us really does make us stronger.

So what are you waiting for, collegiettes? Get out there and listen to Selena Gomez’s new album!