4 Ways to Get Published as an Undergrad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

As college students, we are always looking for ways to upgrade our resumes. From joining clubs to applying for internships, we try just about anything to differentiate ourselves from the thousands of other unemployed collegiettes. Imagine what becoming a published writer could do for your resume! Curious about how? It’s much easier than you think:

1.  Get your research published in a journal.

(journal)

Not a communications or journalism major? Doesn’t matter! Getting published is important for everyone! Get your research or papers from your field published in a journal and look like a pro. You’ll have to work hard, but your professors are here to help! For advice on getting your research published, check out UCSF’s advice.

2.  Start your own blog.

(blog)

Simply self-publish! This one’s time consuming, but it can pay off. Do you have a passion for crafts or organization? Do you love to try new products? Then you can write a blog! There is a blog about virtually everything, but to get readers, it takes work. Build your personal brand, network, and keep consistent. Then, add your blog’s URL to your resume, LinkedIn, and business cards. For more tips on how to start a blog, check out this guide by College Info Geek.

3.  Freelance.

(freelance)

If you really have a talent and passion for writing, but no time to build a blog, freelancing might be for you. The industry has grown significantly recently, and it can help you bring in some extra cash! Not to mention getting your name published. The best way to freelance is to focus on a specific area – fashion, home décor, hair care? For a complete guide to freelancing, check out this list by Mashable.

4.  Write for your school’s Her Campus chapter.

You knew this was coming! Join the nation’s best collegiette journalists and write about whatever you want, whenever you want. From nail polish designs to urgent campus news, you can quickly build a portfolio of your published writing. You’ll even have an online author page that includes all of your work. For more information on the benefits of writing for Her Campus, check out the 5 Surprising Benefits of Writing for Her Campus.