Amelia Kramer-Typewriter Vintage Antique Store
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Wellness

Why Taking a Class with Workshopping is Worthwhile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

When I signed up to take Introduction to Creative Nonfiction (ENGL 0930), I didn’t realize that a big portion of the class would be dedicated to workshopping. To be honest, I wasn’t even familiar with the workshopping process, as I had never done it in any class before. Workshopping in ENGL 0930 consists of a class critique for every assignment we turn in. Instead of handing in one copy of an essay on the due date, I bring 17 copies to class, one for each of my classmates and one for my professor. My professor informs the class  which papers to read and comment on before each class, and then during class we spend roughly 10 minutes on each person’s essay. The student whose piece is being discussed is not allowed to speak while the class critiques their essay.

The first time my professor explained this workshopping process to the class, I left feeling extremely nervous. I am not the most confident about my own writing, so the thought of my peers critiquing my essays was honestly a bit scary. The first workshopping class rolled around, and at the end of each class period my professor would announce whose pieces we would be discussing in the following class. Each time I would secretly hope he would not call my name, but eventually, he did. Being the self-conscious person I am, I was freaking out on the inside in the days leading up to this class period. 

I shouldn’t have had this attitude since I had already witnessed and taken part in workshops with my class. I knew the ins and outs of how workshops took place in ENGL 0930, and I knew that it was a positive setting, but I still felt anxious. Of course, it ended up being a great experience when my piece was workshopped. Rather than only hearing my professor’s perspective on my work, I was able to hear points from all of my classmates. It was very  helpful to hear what elements of my paper they liked, but also what changes they thought needed to be made. I love that the workshop environment fosters an open discussion and that each student gets the benefit of their classmates handing them written feedback. Even though I have only participated in one round of workshops so far, I can tell that this process will enhance my writing. I have been given so many new ideas that a typical English class can not provide.

Although my experience with a workshop styled class is limited, it has already shown to be effective. Each workshop is a constructive environment and every student receives genuine comments, suggestions, and praise for their writing. All of my classmates are kind to one another while still making suggestions on how to improve each piece. I think that my experience so far in ENGL 0930 is likely reflective of any workshopping class at Brown. The student body here is full of nice people who enjoy helping one another, and I think the kind spirit among students makes the workshop model work well. Also, my professor does a great job facilitating the conversations if there are specific things he thinks should be addressed. He clearly believes that workshopping is helpful, and he does everything he can to make sure it is a positive experience for everyone in the class. 

So, if you are thinking about taking a class that includes workshopping (or you accidentally choose one like me), don’t let it intimidate you. It may seem scary at first, but it will make you a better writer. One of my favorite parts about it is that you get the opportunity to read amazing writing from all of your classmates. You will not only be improving your own writing, but have the opportunity to read and improve upon the impressive work of your classmates. Being at Brown, you are pretty much guaranteed to be in a classroom full of like-minded, kind individuals, with an engaging and helpful professor, which makes workshopping a beneficial, fun experience.

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.