Style > Fashion

What to Wear to Your College Formal

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Formal season is here! During late fall and early winter, many of the sports teams and Greek organizations at Brown throw fun formal parties. These formals are always fun because you get to dress up, wear heels, and take tons of cute pictures with your friends! Here are some of my favorite formal dress options:

st. germain dress from oh polly ($91)

I love this dress so much I bought it for a formal myself! I love the long sleeves with a hint of sparkle and its flattering fit. It comes in a wide variety of colors, and you can get it in regular or plus cup!

nevali dress from oh polly ($72)

This long dress is absolutely gorgeous for any formal occasion. It is simple yet elegant, and it is a leg slit for some added flair.

haley maxi dress from princess polly ($65)

If you need another long dress, this is a great option! It’s sleek, sexy, and totally re-wearable. It comes in a wide range of colors and has an adjustable back.

rhiannon corset bodycon dress from lucy in the sky ($50)

I actually wore this dress to my sorority formal last spring. It hugs all the right places and, even though it’s strapless, stays up all night.

satin long sleeve open back dress from abercrombie and fitch ($90)

This a simple yet beautiful option for formal wear. It’s long-sleeved, so it’s perfect for the cooler months. You can rewear it for several other occasions as well!

I am a member of the Brown Class of 2026, and I am planning to concentrate in history and economics. In my free time, I enjoy reading historical fiction novels, baking chocolate chip cookies, and trying new restaurants and cafes in Providence.