Smiley Face?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Smiley Face?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hailey Bieber via Instagram, Wendy Wei via Pexels
Style > Fashion

3 Reasons Why Hailey Bieber’s Halloween Costumes Are So Iconic

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Every Halloween season, we anticipate the ghoulish transformations, imaginative getups, and outlandish outfits that our favorite celebrities will unveil. But, amongst the stars, one name consistently rises to the top of the Halloween costume game – Hailey Bieber.

From the Flintstones’ Pebble to Drew Decker in Scary Movie, Bieber’s portfolio of Halloween costumes never ceases to amaze her Gen-Z audience. The model and Rhode Skin founder has, over the years, earned herself a reputation for her imaginative and on-point Halloween looks. However, it’s more than just her choice of costumes that makes her a standout figure; it’s the unique elements and the stories behind these outfits that set her apart.

her costumes excel at storytelling

One of the key elements that make Bieber’s Halloween costumes stand out is her exceptional talent for storytelling through fashion. Each year, she doesn’t merely dress up for Halloween; she crafts a narrative within her choice of costume that resonates with her audience. Instead of relying on sheer shock value, she lets her costumes become a medium for conveying a story that connects with fans on a deeper level.

Last year, Bieber showcased this storytelling prowess when she channeled the iconic Britney Spears. Rather than simply imitating the pop superstar, Bieber recreated key moments from Britney’s career by incorporating looks from three of her most famous music videos. This transformative journey took her fans on a visual and emotional ride through Britney’s evolution as an artist. From the schoolgirl innocence of “…Baby One More Time” to the sultry allure of “I’m a Slave 4 U,” and the fierce determination of “Toxic,” Bieber captured the essence of Britney Spears’s iconic music video moments.

she pays Impeccable Attention to Detail

Bieber’s costumes are nothing short of impeccable when it comes to detail. Whether she’s recreating a famous character from a movie or putting her twist on a classic Halloween theme, her dedication to accuracy and authenticity is evident. From hair and makeup to accessories and outfits, she leaves no stone unturned, ensuring that her costumes are a spot-on representation of her chosen inspiration.

In her recent portrayal of Drew Decker in Scary Movie, Bieber’s attention to detail reached new heights. She not only donned the signature attire but also painstakingly recreated every nuance of the original character with the assistance of her dedicated hair and makeup team. From the perfectly placed fake blood to the precisely coiffed, wet-hair look, and the exacting replication of Drew Decker’s unique facial expressions, Bieber’s dedication to authenticity was on full display. Her transformation into Drew Decker was so convincing that it left her fans and the public in awe of her unwavering commitment to her craft. “I’m sorry everyone she WON Halloween this year,” one user commented on Bieber’s post.

she’s In Touch with Pop Culture – Even When It doesn’t skew in her favor

Another factor that contributes to the iconic nature of Bieber’s Halloween costumes is her unwavering connection to pop culture. She manages to stay in touch with the ever-shifting landscape of popular trends, even when it might seem that the world is against her. In a brilliant move that showcased her fearless approach to addressing public perception, Bieber embraced the world labeling her as a “mean girl” by going as the iconic Mean Girls clique for Halloween. What truly solidified her status this year was her daring decision to create a Burn Book, featuring her own playful take on the secrets and gossips circulating in her own world, effectively reclaiming the narrative and proving that she’s more than willing to laugh at herself.

Cecilia Sarantopoulos is the chapter leader and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Brown University. She oversees the chapter's published content, social media presence, and brand deals. Beyond Her Campus, Cecilia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature (focusing on English & French) and Theatre Arts. Her written work on culture and style has been featured in prestigious publications, such as Marie Claire Greece and Huffington Post Greece. Cecilia is also a classically trained ballerina and a published poet. In her free time, she stays updated with media trends and the current digital landscape, with a soft spot for all things Disney. Enjoying a warm cup of tea, engaging in water sports, and watching a classic rom-com round out her list of beloved pastimes.