This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Hippocrates famously said, “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.”

During this time of year when everyone around you seems to be sick, eating the right food is more important than ever. Certain foods and drinks have powerful properties that can boost your immune system to help fight off that stubborn cold and even prevent the infamous flu. That being said, here are some staples to keep in mind:

Chicken Soup:

This is a given! Chicken soup provides you with a great source of vitamins and much-needed protein. It also an excellent way to replenish your body’s fluid and electrolyte levels, which is known to clear up the sinuses and lower fevers.

If it isn’t being served at the Blue Room, try Andreas’ Avgolemono Soup on Thayer. It’s a classic Greek chicken soup lightly thickened with egg with an essence of lemon. It will make you feel full, warm, and right at home. :)

Tea:

Okay so this is another given that doesn’t need much convincing. However, I am here to offer a bit of a twist on your classic cup of tea…

Tea Luxe on Thayer makes Ginger Cider (ginger tea brewed with apple cider) that I promise will change your life. Ginger has anti-nausea, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, making it the perfect addition to any drink when you’re sick.

Bananas:

Bananas are great to eat when you’re not feeling well because they are nutrient dense and easy on the stomach.

The idea of a plain banana is kind of boring, so I recommend trying a banana muffin from the Blue Room or slice of banana bread from By Chloe on Thayer. Both will satisfy your desire for a baked good and make you feel better.

Avo toast:

In keeping with the trend, avocados have high nutritional value. Its healthy fats will help decrease inflammation while also helping out your immune system.

Stop by the Ivy Room for a thick piece of avocado toast that will 100% satisfy you. Try adding on an egg for protein or some spinach for iron.

Smoothies:

Increasing your intake of fruits and vegetables can be extremely beneficial when you’re sick. They both are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber, which support your body and immune system.

You can always go to the Ivy Room, but if you are looking to spice it up, check out Tropical Smoothie Café on Thayer. The Sunshine Smoothie is super delicious, packed with vitamin C, and soothing on a sore throat.

Bottom line: While these foods alone can’t cure you, eating the right foods can support your body’s immune system and help relieve certain symptoms. Remember to stay healthy, sleep, and treat your body well!

Freshman, Prospective Behavioral Decision Sciences Concentrator
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.