white lotus theories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
white lotus theories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
hbo max
Style > Fashion

These 5 Timeless Trends Will Make You The Best-Dressed Guest This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

As the seasons wax and wane, so do their trends. Evocative of fashion in the early aughts and the late 20th century, these five aesthetics have a history or re-emerging. This is your sign not to revamp your entire wardrobe to fit each season’s trend zeitgeist and instead glean inspiration from these suggestions to celebrate the garments you already own.

the maxi-er, the better

Slinking maxi dresses and skirts are a staple this year: the embodiment of a “lately she’s been dressing for revenge” femme-fatale essence. Think of maxi silhouettes as your go-to not only to feel sleek and sexy but also to avoid freezing on upcoming winter outings. Aside from its seasonal practicality, the versatile maxi dress is a timeless purchase that harks back to the ‘60s, when late designer Oscar de la Renta created one of the silhouette’s earliest appearances in 1968. 

Featuring supermodel Irina Shayk, Zara’s new limited-edition capsule collection “A New Sensuality” adds a contemporary and affordable take to the sultry silhouettes that roamed the ‘60s and, more recently, the SS23 runway shows of Valentino and Saint Laurent.  

Maxi lengths also transcend to outwear, with long, belted or faux fur coats being a seasonal must!

shine bright…with sequins

Nothing screams festive louder than sequins. While sequins have long been considered too predictable for the holidays, they are currently undergoing their it-girl comeback – especially in black, silver, and emerald-green hues. Hailey Bieber, a harbinger of contemporary beauty and style trends, was recently spotted wearing a backless sequin Bottega Veneta mini dress while in Miami for the Art Basel art show, which almost outshined her singular, dewy makeup look.  

Actress, model, and Bieber’s close pal Camila Morrone also recently donned sequin– albeit on the more affordable side. While attending the H&M Williamsburg Holiday House Party in New York, Morrone turned heads in the H&M black sequin slip dress ($59). 

If you’re still iffy about being inundated with sparkle – I’ve got you! You don’t need to beam from head to toe to participate in this bedazzling resurgence. Sequins can be a part of your look in subtler ways. Wearing a sequin-collared shirt, sequin pants, a sequin mini skirt, or accessorizing with a shiny clutch are fool-proof options to feel bejeweled but not over the top.  

Cult Gaia’s Lucinda Top Handle Clutch ($218), INC International Concepts’ Doris Sparkle Mesh Pouch ($80), and the Kelly & Katie Staci Wristlet ($37) are stunning additions to a #stargirl Christmas wish list.  

Fun fact: “sequin” originated from the Arabic word sikka, meaning “coin.” Sequins became a part of haute couture post a great discovery in 1922, when archeologists opened the tomb of Tutankhamun, Egyptian pharaoh, and came across royal garments embellished with small disks of pure gold.  This discovery propelled the manufacturing of lightweight sequins that combined colored gelatin and lead paint. 

Pop culture icon Michael Jackson further catapulted sequins to the fashion foreground when he wore a black sequin jacket and a rhinestone glove to perform “Billie Jean” and debut his defining moonwalk in 1983. The iconic singer opted again for sequins in 1984 when he donned a military-style sequin jacket while visiting the White House.  

floral details

The budding (pun intended) trend is also rooted (oops!) in vintage archives. As displayed by Bieber, who riffed on a Saint Laurent 1999 runway moment for one of her Halloween looks this year, florets have been a part of haute couture since the ‘90s.

More recent standout moments in high fashion where flowers roamed the runway span from the Moschino Spring 2018 ready-to-wear collection to the Christian Dior Spring 2003 Couture show. 

The strong resurgence of floral embellishment is not attributed to a particular figure this time. Instead, floral details are a house code of the luxury ready-to-wear brand Magda Bytrum. Worn by the likes of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Dakota Johnson, the brand has arguably made its foray into the celebrity-approved fashion landscape, not an easy feat considering the oversaturated market. Helming the pairing of romance with evening wear, the brand’s signature of standout floral details frequently endows wrap-effect miniskirts and dresses. The playful roses render the brand’s party wear standout choices for Christmas or New Year’s Eve celebrations.   

Fear not – there are ways to become a part of this floral vision without breaking the bank! More affordable brands such as Lioness and MANGO have caught up on the resurgence of romantic fashion. The Rendevouz Strapless Licorice dress ($90) and the Gathered dress with flower detail ($70) give their spin on the ruched, crossover detailing. 

Heaven Mayhem, a vintage-inspired small business, offers a refreshing take on this trend, deconstructing roses from full-blown outfits and letting the design stand out as an accessory. Since the Burgundy Rose ($54) suede necklace is currently sold out, head to The Bar for its Rose Neck Tie Black Large ($48) that can be tied around the neck or pinned to a garment. 

lace

Romance threads into the penultimate can’t-miss trend, a design that has stood for centuries as a symbol of love, beauty, and finery: lace. An eternal classic, lace is the eldest on this list, trailing back to the 17th century and the French monarchy. Chantilly lace, which continues to adorn runways of Christian Dior, Chanel, Elie Saab, Valentino, and Yves Saint Laurent, is a mid-eighteenth-century French style of lace made with bobbins instead of needles.    

For the holidays, Canadian content creator Emma Rose Leger proves that wearing a little lace goes a long way. (Bonus points if you spot two other trends mentioned that Leger wears!) 

Jenna Ortega, who stars as Wednesday Addams on Netflix’s new hit series Wednesday, recently stunned in a Dion Lee Composite Lace Crepe Midi Dress for the “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” giving her approval that, this holiday season, lace is more.   

faux fur this, faux fur that

You’ll probably use this final trend the most during the holidays. Usually restricted to coats and jackets, faux fur is now expanding to accessories, and faux-fur bucket hats and earmuffs are currently the main characters of attention-grabbing instagram posts.

Although there is still a long way to go, there has been a shift in recent years, with high-end brands such as Versace, Gucci, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, and Giorgio Armani going fur-free. Moving forward in this cruelty-free direction, now is the time to get your hands on some faux-fur winter staples, if you haven’t already.

MANGO’s Oversize faux-fur coat ($170) will keep you warm and stylish, and the Simplicity Unisex Warm Faux Furry Winter Outdoor EarMuffs Foldable Ear Warmer ($16) are your ears’ best friend!

Happy holidays!

Cecilia Sarantopoulos is the chapter leader and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Brown University. She oversees the chapter's published content, social media presence, and brand deals. Beyond Her Campus, Cecilia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature (focusing on English & French) and Theatre Arts. Her written work on culture and style has been featured in prestigious publications, such as Marie Claire Greece and Huffington Post Greece. Cecilia is also a classically trained ballerina and a published poet. In her free time, she stays updated with media trends and the current digital landscape, with a soft spot for all things Disney. Enjoying a warm cup of tea, engaging in water sports, and watching a classic rom-com round out her list of beloved pastimes.