This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The ski resorts where I live have recently opened up. I’ve been looking forward to skiing all year, but have been curious to see how resorts would handle skiing amidst covid. So, a few days ago, I decided to venture onto the slopes. While I was excited to ski, I was particularly interested in how compliant my fellow skiers would be with following the pandemic procedures. I grabbed my mask and headed out!

Although each state requires resorts to follow their own regulations, skiers must generally follow the same basic protocols. Guests at resorts are required to wear “face coverings” in all public spaces, including indoor and outdoor spaces, but are limited while eating and drinking. Additionally, guests are required to maintain social distancing in and around lift lines, ticket lines, ski/snowboard lessons, and food and beverage outlets. Most of these regulations are great, as long as they are followed, but there are still some flaws. Although they require “face coverings,” since it isn’t specified what constitutes a face mask, people showed up wearing scarves, neck warmers, etc. This is incredibly problematic because neck gaiters, neck warmers, and ski masks have been proven to be worse in spreading the virus than not wearing a mask at all. Additionally, I found that people were blatantly wearing their masks incorrectly in lift lines-wearing them under their noses or just wearing them at their chins, leaving their mouths and noses exposed.

My greatest shock was when I got into a gondola, which is basically a six-person moving closet designed to quickly take you up the mountain in warmth. Under colder conditions, it is very nice, both socially and from a comfort standpoint. However, during the time of Covid, I was shocked that the resort was encouraging non-related groups to get into the same gondola. Initially, I agreed and went with a group of 4 people that I did not know. I felt incredibly uncomfortable when after the doors to the gondola closed, and as we started to ascend, two people no more than a foot across from and next to me took their masks off. There were several similar instances where I saw people in public spaces talking with one another with masks at their chins. I ultimately understood that people left to their own devices are sadly sometimes willing to risk others’ lives for their own comfort. If resorts are going to keep their patrons safe, there needs to be an adjustment in the basic rules and regulations. Skiing could be a great way for many people to spend some time outdoors this winter. People have just got to accept the fact that it’s not going to be the same as it’s been in years past. 

Natasha is a sophomore at Brown University studying the History of Art and Architecture.