Life > Experiences

Red Stripe: An American Brasserie & Providence Must!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Just a short walk from campus, Red Stripe, an American Brasserie, serves a delicious combination of French and American ideal for a student’s budget.

Red Stripe is located at 465 Angell Street in the popular Wayland Square area (more Wayland Square recommendations), and it’s about a 20-minute walk from Brown’s campus. It’s open seven days a week for both lunch and dinner. 

Red Stripe’s menu provides a delicious combination of American comfort dishes and classic French cuisine. Their parmesan truffle fries with garlic aioli are a can’t-miss item! My go-to at Red Stripe is their grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. In their more elevated version of this dish, the sandwich is made with thick, crusty bread and Havarti cheese, and the soup is homemade and has a dollop of dill crème fraîche. Adventurous eaters may enjoy another delicious twist on this classic dish, which has prosciutto, poached pear, and basil pesto on the sandwich. Red Stripe’s French onion soup also gets an honorable mention. Rich broth, cheesy topping, and crunchy croutons create the perfect meal for a rainy Providence day. Red Stripe also serves traditional French cuisine, like various moules and steak frites. 

One of my favorite things about Red Stripe is its affordability on a college student’s budget. My total lunch bill for a half Caesar salad, grilled cheese sandwich, and tomato soup combination was $22, which was an amazing deal considering the portion sizes. I could take leftovers home for dinner!

Affordability that’s not at the expense of taste makes Red Stripe a great dinner or lunch option when you and your friends are sick of dining hall food or want to take your significant other out for an affordable yet special dinner. Wayland’s accessibility from campus also makes Red Stripe an easily walkable choice for dinner or lunch. 

For more information about Red Stripe and more detailed menus, check out Red Stripe’s website.

I am a member of the Brown Class of 2026, and I am planning to concentrate in history and economics. In my free time, I enjoy reading historical fiction novels, baking chocolate chip cookies, and trying new restaurants and cafes in Providence.