Life > Experiences

A Review Of The Providence’s Can’t-Miss Madrid European Bakery & Patisserie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Just 20 minutes from campus, Wayland Square is a bustling neighborhood of shops, restaurants, and cafes. While some coffee aficionados may find the choices on Thayer Street lacking, Wayland Square certainly does not disappoint! My favorite, Madrid European Bakery, combines a welcoming atmosphere with delicious coffee and baked goods! 

Madrid European Bakery is located at 199 Wayland Avenue, just a short walk down Angell Street from the heart of campus. The walk takes you through a suburban area of Providence, and it feels extremely safe. An additional plus is that the walk to Wayland avoids the dreaded trek up and down College Hill and has a much more moderate incline. Madrid is open from 7 am-7 pm Tuesdays through Saturdays and from 7 am-5 pm on Sundays; these student-friendly hours allow for a late afternoon study session or caffeine pick-me-up. Madrid has plenty of white marble tables and seats, so you should never have trouble finding a spot to sit and work. There is also free wifi and bathroom accessibility to all patrons. 

The ambiance in Madrid is absolute perfection! There is plenty of natural light, and the decor is understated yet refined. While sometimes, around mid-afternoon, the Cafe can get a bit busy, you can always snag a table in the back to avoid the bustle by the register. Madrid also has tables that sit directly on the sidewalk, so you can do a little people-watching while enjoying your coffee. 

As the name suggests, Madrid specializes in European pastries; however, they also have classic favorites like croissants and mini fruit tarts. While no menu is posted online, I assume they have these traditional staples plus daily variations and specialties. I sampled the mini lemon and mini key lime tarts when I went to Madrid. Both desserts were delicious and perfectly combined sweet and sour elements. While tiny, they were rich and filling and served as the perfect afternoon treat. While I enjoyed my latte, baked goods are truly the star at Madrid! 

For more information, visit Madrid’s website (linked here: https://www.madrideuropeanbakery.com/) or their social media @MadridEuropeanBakery (Instagram and Facebook).

I am a member of the Brown Class of 2026, and I am planning to concentrate in history and economics. In my free time, I enjoy reading historical fiction novels, baking chocolate chip cookies, and trying new restaurants and cafes in Providence.