This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The 14th of February is typically a bustling day, but it must now adapt to the extended stay of the global pandemic and the breeze of stillness it brings with it. What does this mean for lovers and Valentine’s Day enthusiasts? Well… grand gestures and serenades must be made virtually or six feet apart. But fear not, dear lovebirds, for Mercury in Retrograde has us all up in our feels and ready to generate some lockdown – tailored ways to spend Valentine’s Day! 

1. Virtual Dinner Date!

One of the most common (but oh so classy) ways to spend the night of February is over dinner, lit candles, and “Lover” by Taylor Swift playing softly in the background. Whether a declaration of love is in the works or you are using the holiday as an excellent opportunity to express how thankful you are for one another, dinner dates carry an incomparable combo of boo + food. So, why expunge it altogether from our V-Day agenda? 

Couples can virtually prepare their all-time favorite recipe or re-create the first meal they ever tried together! Take a well-deserved break and … dress up! Making the most out of these special occasions can do wonders when it comes to routine fatigue. Valentine’s Day is a day of love, especially self–love! <3 Resume your virtual meetup, admire each other looking fancy, have a taste of your other snacks, and enjoy yourselves! 

1. V-day Netflix Party!

According to an article in “The Harvard Gazette,” our nose knows best! Scent is the sense most strongly connected to memory. Capitalize on this detail when reminiscing on pre-COVID-19 activities, such as going to the cinema! Make some home-made popcorn and take in the crisp remembrance of having all your refreshments before the movie even starts *chuckle*. Here are some fabulous Valentine’s Day movie suggestions on Netflix that you and your partner can feel the love with: 

• “One Day:” Featuring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, this film revolves around two first loves who promise to meet once a year … no matter what! The two flames’ love journey is sure to bring some tears, especially during a time where reunions are dear – and pray – near!

• “Dear John:” Amanda Seyfried plays a college student who falls in love with Channing Tatum, an overseas soldier. The couple wrestles with missing one another as they rely on writing letters to maintain contact. Fortunately, we have FaceTime and Zoom to satisfy our separation anxiety highly, but we can surely still empathize with missing your loved one(s).

• “Holidate:” One of the most beloved Netflix original films, “Holidate” encapsulates the unexpected ways we can stumble into love and the raw feeling of family awkwardness during the holidays – especially when you’re single. Emma Roberts and Luke Bracey are here to give lonely love birds a good laugh, maybe even spark some hope for the abundance of love! 

And last but certainly not least… 

1. Send some flowers! 

A “cliché” gesture coined by many, but how often are flowers the chosen road of love offerings? Perhaps we have “uncliched” the “cliché,” which renders bouquets one of the most vibrant and welcomed Valentine’s Day (any day, to be honest) gifts! Flowers have got to be the gift that most commonly generates a positive reaction, filled with elongated “awwwws” and smiling faces. Flowers have the rare benefit of being extremely customizable, with hundreds of flower arrangements out there. With spending time indoors being the norm, flowers also have the dual function of brightening and beautifying a home. From elegant roses to friendly orchids, options suitable to the receiver are sure to be found! 

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone! <3

Cecilia Sarantopoulos is the chapter leader and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Brown University. She oversees the chapter's published content, social media presence, and brand deals. Beyond Her Campus, Cecilia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature (focusing on English & French) and Theatre Arts. Her written work on culture and style has been featured in prestigious publications, such as Marie Claire Greece and Huffington Post Greece. Cecilia is also a classically trained ballerina and a published poet. In her free time, she stays updated with media trends and the current digital landscape, with a soft spot for all things Disney. Enjoying a warm cup of tea, engaging in water sports, and watching a classic rom-com round out her list of beloved pastimes.