sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

My Beach Bag Essentials: 7 Can’t Miss Items

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Spring break is rapidly approaching and if you are off to warmer climates, you may be fretting your packing list. From skin protection to snacks to keep you fueled, a properly packed beach bag is a must for long days spent lounging in the sun, so scroll down to see what’s filling mine. 

Sunscreen

If I could only bring one thing to the beach, it would be sunscreen. A high quality sunscreen is crucial for avoiding a nasty sunburn and its less than ideal side effects, so I always make sure to pack it! Don’t forget your face and make sure to reapply every couple of hours!

Water Bottle 

Ditch the expensive and wasteful plastic water bottle from the beach shop and bring your own insulated water bottle that will keep your water cool all day long. Take your hydration up one notch with an electrolyte powder that has delicious benefits! 

Book

A captivating book is the perfect accompaniment to a day at the beach. Since it is Women’s History Month, I’m delving into the iconic female writers of the past century. A few of my favorites include Joan Didian’s Slouching Towards Bethlehem , Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye, and Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own

Snacks

My favorite beach snacks fall into two categories: hydrating and sweet, and salty and crunchy. For the hydrating and sweet category, you can’t go wrong with fruit. Nothing is more refreshing than sliced watermelon or cool grapes on a hot day. For the salty and crunchy category, you can’t go wrong with tortilla chips or popcorn.

Cover-Up

An easy cover up is essential if you are planning to hit up a local ice cream stand or restaurant post beach day. Toss some flowy white linen pants and a simple button down in your bag or go for a white dress that can easily be dressed up or dressed down.

Sunglasses

Sunglasses do double duty as both protective and stylish, so they will always be in my beach bag. You can go classic with these Ray Bans, sport an aviator style, or try this chic but affordable pair!

Speaker

A day at the beach is not complete without a great soundtrack. Whether you love the Beatles or prefer Taylor Swift, bring your tunes to the beach with this waterproof portable speaker

Alexandra Tucker is a writer at Brown's Her Campus chapter from Boston, Massachusetts. She writes on style, culture, food, and Providence. Alex is currently a junior at Brown University, concentrating in Public Health and Health and Human Biology. She is a volunteer at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, is a member of the Women's Health Advocacy Group, manages the social media account of Fashion @ Brown, and belongs to the Kappa Delta sorority. In her free time, Alex enjoys doing yoga, frequenting cute cafes around Providence and Boston, doing New York Times crossword puzzles, and exploring Brown's campus on foot with a good podcast.