How to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day Around Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, so I hope you have some green in your closet! If you love Irish jigs, step dancing, parades, and delicious food, below are a few festive ways to celebrate Irish heritage in the Rhode Island and Boston communities!

Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and Irish heritage since 1901, Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade is a pure extravaganza with bagpipes, floats, marching bands, and plenty of green! The parade starts in South Boston at 1pm and winds through the neighborhood for 3.5 miles. Find a spot along the route and get ready to celebrate the Boston way!

St. Patrick’s Day Week at Lansdowne Pub

Want a full immersion into Irish music, food, and culture? Lansdowne Pub hosts a full week of St. Patrick’s Day festivities! Stop by this Boston classic for Irish step dancers, live music, special shows, and Irish football and rugby on the big screen. If you get hungry, dig into a hearty Irish breakfast plate or corned beef reuben. 

Dine on Traditional Irish Food

Rhode Island and Massachusetts have a plethora of options to indulge in Irish delicacies this St. Patty’s day. J.J Foley’s has been serving fish and chips since it was opened by Irish immigrant, J.J Foley, in 1909. Grab a seat under the Irish-American memorabilia that deck the walls and settle in for an Irish football game. Black Rose serves all the classics, shepherd’s pie, Guinness beef stew, and a full Irish breakfast, with live Irish music 5 nights a week. In Providence, McBride’s is perfect for a fun and festive night with trivia, live music, and delicious food. 

Irish Heritage Trail

Learn more about the history of Irish culture in America on Boston’s Irish Heritage Trail, which includes monuments, statues, and buildings that commemorate influential Irish change-makers and remember the Irish famine. 

Newport, Rhode Island’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Take a drive to Newport for their annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade! Pipe bands, marching bands, and floats provide a festive atmosphere to the picturesque Newport coastal backdrop. 

Guinness St. Pat’s 5K

Is going on a run your ideal way to celebrate? Sign up for the Guinness St. Pat’s 5k in Providence, Rhode Island. Lace up your sneaks, put on your cutest green activewear, and hit the pavement at 11am on the 16th. 

Throw your own St. Patrick’s Day party

Love hosting your own festivities?  Deck your space in green, queue up some Irish jig music, and bake up some delicious grasshopper brownies or Lucky Charms treats! Want to be more traditional? Try this Irish soda bread or shepherd’s pie

Alexandra Tucker is a writer at Brown's Her Campus chapter from Boston, Massachusetts. She writes on style, culture, food, and Providence. Alex is currently a junior at Brown University, concentrating in Public Health and Health and Human Biology. She is a volunteer at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, is a member of the Women's Health Advocacy Group, manages the social media account of Fashion @ Brown, and belongs to the Kappa Delta sorority. In her free time, Alex enjoys doing yoga, frequenting cute cafes around Providence and Boston, doing New York Times crossword puzzles, and exploring Brown's campus on foot with a good podcast.