Girls Night Dinner Party
Girls Night Dinner Party
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Party Planning is Healing My Inner Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As a kid, I was obsessed with creating fake parties. I had a whole journal filled with birthday and sleepover ideas where I wrote how I would decorate my room, who I would invite, what activities we would play, and what food I would cook. My inspiration came from my mom, who was very crafty and a big cook, so all of her ideas subsequently fell onto me and started a love for event planning.

Martha Stewart was my big inspiration. I used to love reading her entertainment books and every time my mom and I went to the store I would ask for the new Martha Stewart holiday magazine. From decor to gardening to how to cook the perfect Thanksgiving meal, I wanted to emulate her life so badly.

However, as a 9 year old whose parents were going through a divorce, I couldn’t really bring these parties and my Martha Stewart-esque dream to life, so everything stayed shut and planned inside my journal. Planning make-believe parties was like an outlet for me, where I could escape and dream about a picture perfect life that I could someday have.

As I’ve grown into an adult, I’ve only planned or hosted events as many times that I can count on the fingers of my one hand. Whether it was because of time restrictions or Covid or a lack of money, my opportunities to live out the dreams of my childhood have been scarce, but I’m changing that during my last few years in college.

I’m living on a college girl budget, so I obviously can’t break the bank, but I’m finding ways to be thrifty and still attempt to plan events. Recently I had two of my best friends over for dinner and I bought everything at Aldi, making a dinner for three almost under $5 each. A simple little dinner party is enough to live out my dreams of hosting glamorous parties while still working with what I have.

I want to make an effort to host casual dinner parties or theme nights at home because if my friends are going to graduate soon, we might as well make the most out of our time together and I might as well harness the inspiration that I kept with me since childhood. Planning little events like this also helps to romanticize daily life and keep spirits up throughout the semester.

I may not be throwing elaborate parties with shrimp cocktails and fancy origami napkins, but planning small events like Friendsgivings or baking nights is slowly healing the childhood fantasy I had for hosting and entertaining. It’s also helping me understand more about myself and my potential career by learning to do what I love most, which is: planning, organizing, and hanging out with the people I love most. Everyday, little by little, I can embody my Food Network and entertaining icons and channel the inspiration from my 9 year old self and help romanticize life a little bit more.

Sylvia Mack

Virginia Tech '24

Sylvia is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Communication with a double minor in Sociology and Event and Experience Management.