This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Just a few days prior to leaving campus for winter break, I received a call from one of my best friends at home informing me that she had just tested positive for COVID-19. While she thankfully wasn’t experiencing any symptoms, she had unfortunately come in contact with some of our other friends who were also home, prior to receiving her diagnosis. Because of this, each of them (along with their families) entered into a fourteen day quarantine until they had all tested negative multiple times. Hearing all of this information was a true wake up call for me. At Brown, I have always felt relatively comfortable socializing with my pod, knowing that every individual on campus is getting tested twice per week. Now that I am returning home, it’s not that simple. My friends and family members have been exposed to entirely different groups of people than my pod here at school. Seeing them translates to increased “close” contacts and heightens my chances of catching the virus. Bearing all of this in mind, I’m returning home with many ideas of how to catch up with my friends in a COVID-safe way. Here are some ideas so you can do the same!

1. Go for a walk! This is one of the first activities I participated in after the initial March lockdown. Being outside is such an easy way to keep yourself and others safe, and wearing a mask while outside significantly reduces transmission. An outdoor walk is a great way to catch up with friends after a semester apart, all while getting in some exercise. As the temperatures begin to fall, make sure you wear a warm jacket in order to brave the winter weather. 

2. Have a fire pit night. Nothing says ‘the holidays’ like a roaring fire! If one of your friends has an outdoor fireplace or pit, this is a perfect place to stage a socially distanced gathering. Even during cold winter nights, gathering around the fire will keep you warm and social throughout the entire season. Also, don’t forget to pick up some s’mores ingredients as the perfect complement! 

3. Go shopping… and drive separately. Stores in my area are doing a great job of keeping shoppers safe and spaces clean. So head out for some holiday shopping with friends- just make sure to bring a mask. Also, if possible, take separate cars, since driving together is an easy way for accidental exposure. However, meeting your friends at a mall or shopping location is a great way to socialize and browse for some fun purchases along the way. 

4. Socially distanced “dinner party.” Over the summer, my home friends and I had an outdoor dinner together once a week. We stayed outside and either ordered take out or brought our own dinners so there weren’t any communal bowls or plates of food. This made things feel a little more normal, and we got to enjoy a fun night with good friends and good food. Even as the temperatures drop, it could be fun to eat outdoors by a fire. Especially around Thanksgiving, converting the usual friendsgiving into a COVID-friendly one will allow you to gather in a safe way.

Maddie is a junior at Brown from Connecticut. She is concentrating in Economics.
Nora is the Campus Correspondent for Brown University's chapter. She is a Junior from New York studying Applied Math-Economics. Her interests are writing, painting, and playing tennis.