Style

5 Milan Fashion Week Trends I’ll Be Wearing To Class This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Ciao from Milan Fashion Week! Luckily, street style from MFW provides us with the perfect inspiration for autumnal styles and can easily be incorporated in our collegiate attire. See below for my five favorite trends from Italian cobblestone streets from which I plan to take inspiration.

The Taylor Swift Effect: A Red Fall

The Eras tour is not only infiltrating all aspects of popular culture, but also the runways this autumnal season. Insert the red, cozy sweater. Paired with straight leg denim or wide leg cream pants and short black or camel boots, you are sure to appear runway ready dashing through Main Green on your way to class.

Vested Time

The perfect way to embrace a puffer while temperatures remain moderate. A vest can also have a more elevated design, such as a refined, Barbour-esque style. Or, you can let the vest be the focal point of your outfit by opting for a faux fur or statement pattern. Any type of vest can be easily added over a simple monotone sweater and pants. Whether practical, preppy, or professional, the vest is a signal that you are attuned to fall’s key trends.

Built for Belts

A belt is not only an incredibly useful wardrobe accessory but also a very effective trend piece. Woven leather, thick and gold hardware, and animal patterned belts were seen on the waistlines of some of Milan Fashion Week’s best dressed guests. It can be worn to add shape to a sweater dress and knee high leather boots or jeans and a blouse.

Small Shorts, Big Impact

This season, mini shorts are starring the show. Tweed, khaki, plaid, and leather designs are all key fabrics this year which we are seeing at a shorter length. Everyday style can be enhanced by a pair of black tights and mini shorts with ankle boots or sneakers. 

Stand-Out Suits

Workwear continues to have a special place in haute couture this season. This trend can be seamlessly integrated in dailywear by wearing wide leg dress pants and a loose fitting blazer over a sweater or top. Complete your outfit with gold hoop earrings and sneakers to ensure its ready for class.

Maggie Seidel is the President of the Her Campus at Brown chapter. In this role, she oversees and recruits new members and writers, produces content for Pinterest and Instagram, manages the calendar, editorial process, and brand partnerships, leads weekly meetings and outreach, and contributes weekly articles. Maggie studies International & Public Affairs and Entrepreneurship, and she is a current sophomore. She is also a chair on the executive leadership team of Brown University's Women in Business, the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Intercollegiate Finance Journal, a teaching assistant for an entrepreneurship class at Brown, and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. Her Campus is Maggie's place of happy. She also loves to play tennis, celebrate holidays of any and all kinds, curate new Pinterest boards, and enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch and cup of warm coffee.