This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Fall is approaching, which means—you guessed it—football season. Even though Brown is not a huuuuge football school (understatement of the century), the rivalry game against Harvard is absolutely worth the trip to Boston. This year’s game will be at Harvard on Friday, September 27 at 7pm. As we all know, the key to enjoying a football game—yes, even one of Brown’s—is a good tailgate beforehand, so you’re in luck: here, I’ve prepped a list of tailgate tips for the big game.

1. Get your group

The trip to Harvard and even the game itself will be fun if you have a great group to go with. Gather your friends and plan to stick together. Since you will be in an unfamiliar area with a lot of people, it is important to have a group to stay with. Make sure to share your location with your friends so that  nobody gets lost in the crowd.

2. The perfect playlist

A major part of having a good time is having fun music to go along with it. Compile a playlist of your current favorite songs, and put some throwbacks on there too! A great playlist will make both the drive to Harvard exciting and the Boston backyard tailgate a great time. Check out our Back to School Pregame Playlist for some inspiration. 

3. Own the outfit

Break out your favorite Brown clothing or hit the bookstore for something new. The weather is still nice, so take advantage of the sun and wear something cute. Amazon is another great place to look for Brown t-shirts to cut or wear as they are.

4. Handle the heat

Remember to stay hydrated and eat before the game. With all of the craze of the tailgate, it can be easy to forget food and water, but it is important to stay nourished. Your experience at the tailgate and game will not be as fun without proper hydration and nutrition. 

5. Prepare a plan

How are you getting to and from Harvard? Are you going to go back to campus after the game or stay with a friend in Boston? It is important to know these things and others before the day of the game. Make sure you have a set plan with transportation and other logistics so that you can enjoy yourself without worrying about other things during the tailgate and game.

Have fun and enjoy the game! This is a great way to make memories with your friends and cheer on your school. Go Bears!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.