This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brock U chapter.

It’s a constant voice inside your head that makes you question every single decision and action you’ve ever made. It’s thinking about the same thing over and over again until you’re exhausted and left questioning “why can’t I ever relax?” The constant struggle between just “shut it off” and what if I’m not thinking over it enough? 

Being a classic over-thinker myself I’ve often found it difficult to get out of my own head and try to live in the present and while I’ve not found the perfect cure, I’ve found a few ways to give myself a mental break. 

Meditation: I was hesitant because I never thought sitting still for 20 or even 5 minutes was something I could or would want to do but one fine day I decided to test why everybody is talking about it and I haven’t looked A few minutes in the morning really helps me to connect with myself. I’ve noticed that I am calmer and worry less during the day. 

Divert your mind: overthinking one minute and then telling yourself to stop overthinking will most definitely backfire. Instead, try changing your activity. Talk to someone, exercise read a book, or catch up on an assignment. 

Focus on Problem Solving: Instead of trying to focus on the problem, try focusing on the solution. Ask yourself, is there anything you could to do make the situation better? Can you prevent it? Do you think you could change your approach towards the situation? 

And if it is something that you have no control over, remember that you can’t change the past or predict the future. If the outcome doesn’t go your way, remember every opportunity and every failure gives rise to a new beginning.

Remember, it is always best to talk to a professional. 

Ayushi Bakshi

Brock U '22

Hey everyone! My name is Ayushi and I am the co-founder and president of HerCampus at Brock University.