This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

I came to the University of Bristol Swimming and Waterpolo Club as a fresher in my first week of uni. Having played some waterpolo before I knew it was something I’d want to get involved with but like most other freshers had no idea what to really expect. Now, I know there was really nothing to worry about.

Despite having only been in Bristol for a year, and in combination with also joining Women’s Rugby, I’ve made friends for life who helped me though all the highs and lows of my first year and who I know will continue to do so throughout the rest of my time at uni and in years to come. Regardless of who you are there’ll be times at uni where you could do with a hand which is just one of the many reasons why I think it’s so so important to get involved in a sport or society at uni. Whether its to compete in a competitive sports team or just to socialise with like-minded people, playing sport gives you a chance to let off steam and forget about uni responsibilities, even if its just for an hour on a Friday night!

To any newcomers to swimming and waterpolo, sport, or just to the university in general, my advice would be to just go for it and try as much as you can! I’d 1000% recommend getting involved at our UBSWPC Give It A Go sessions on the 28th September (at the pool in the Richmond Building) and also to any waterpolo sessions, particularly in the first two weeks of term (newcomers are more than welcome all year round but this will be the chance to meet some fellow newbies!). The introduction of our new ladies 3rd team this year means that, even if you’ve never played before, there are many opportunities to get stuck in with the help of our experienced coaching team. UBSWPC is a friendly, inviting and supportive club where students from all kinds of backgrounds can work together to help each individual reach their goals both in and out of the pool. We offer a variety of memberships ranging from fun fitness swimming to competitive 1st team waterpolo matches as well as everything in-between. Visit our website www.ubswpc.com, find us on facebook, or send us an email on ubswpc@gmail.com for more information on training times and how to get involved.

We would like to thank UBSWPC for contributing to Women in Sport week.

Her Campus magazine