Why Leonardo DiCaprio is Just the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Before his involvement with his most recent film The Revenant,  DiCaprio has been a long term environmentalist, a “climate change champion” as the media is currently nicknaming him. Since the 1990s, DiCaprio has steadily taught himself all about the earth’s oceans and climate change, devouring books and information in a bid to understand the issues going on around him. Those who have worked with him have said that the issue is very  important to him and something that he is desperate to act on.

I didn’t think I could admire this man anymore, but upon winning an Oscar the other night, it was confirmed: Leonardo DiCaprio is simply the best.

(Image credit: www.rt.com)

Everyone was rooting for DiCaprio to win an Oscar. The world was watching, waiting for his name to be called at last. I feel like there was genuine happiness for him when he went up to claim his award, completely deserving after such an amazing performance in The Revenant. That is why his moving speech about taking action with climate change is so important and so powerful: he used his acceptance speech for the best actor to grab the world’s attention and urge a global audience to reject the “politics of greed,” and support leaders willing to take action against climate change.

DiCaprio says that “Climate change is real, it is happening right now, it is the most urgent threat facing our entire species, and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating.”

Over the past few years, DiCaprio has donated at least $30 million to his foundation, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation.  His foundation works towards protecting biodiversity, ocean conservation, wild lands conservation and climate change.

As well as this, he has worked with many environmental organisations such as WWF and used his celebrity status to help advance the United Nations climate negotiations, help protect coral reefs and endangered animals, and spread public awareness about the dangers of climate change to humans, wildlife and the Earth.

Naturally, there are many people who are dedicated climate campaigners and wealthy individuals who donate their money to important environmental causes. But DiCaprio works at a different level – he has a way of connecting with the world and making people want to listen and want to make a change.

“There are many foundations and non-governmental organisations interested in oceans and many do great work. He has a megaphone that nobody else on the planet has. He is so respected and admired and influential all around the world from the general public to head of state, so when he says something people listen,” said Enric Sala, explorer-in-residence for National Geographic, who has worked with DiCaprio.

(Image credit: Edward Leavy Jr/Demotix/Corbis)

His dedication to his own education about climate science is also admirable. Not only does he have private tutoring with some of the world’s best researchers, but campaigners who have worked with the actor said he also immerses himself in scientific reading; he keeps people on hand who can brief him on climate science and policy; and travels to areas around the world that are on the frontline of climate change action.

DiCaprio explained how important the issue is to him during an interview with Rolling Stone in January: “I am consumed by this. There isn’t a couple of hours a day where I’m not thinking about it. It’s this slow burn. It’s not ‘aliens invading our planet next week and we have to get up and fight to defend our country,’ but it’s this inevitable thing, and it’s so terrifying.”

Inspired? Me too.
Holly began as the features editor for Her Campus Bristol and then progressed on to managing director/campus correspondent in 2016. A third year English student, she has a passion for reading, nature and writing.
Her Campus magazine